We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to reach Lausanne by Italy?

Which Lausanne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Capri, Italy
How to reach Lausanne by Italy?

i would like to visit lausanne in late october beginning november, i will probably be in milan so i'm looking for how to reach lausanne from milan and where to stay once there.

as i'm staying like 2 or 3 nights i don't care how expensive is the hotel, i'll say i don't want to go over 150€ per night, any suggestion?

thanks

Cairo, Egypt
reviews: 42
1. Re: How to reach Lausanne by Italy?

There are direct trains from Milan to Lausanne... it takes 3 hours and 50 minutes to reach there.

Two very nicely located hotels in Ouch, on the lake front of Lausanne would be the BeauRivage (really upscale) and the Movenpick, I am not sure what sort of deals you can get there.

San Jose, California
reviews: 13
2. Re: How to reach Lausanne by Italy?

4 - 6 people plan to travel from Lausanne to the Italian Rivera next summer, the train route that eur-rail came up with is 16 hours and 6 train transfers. We are considering renting a car, but would really rather not do the driving. Therfore, I am looking for information on two options: Has anyone heard so a company that will just do a one day transportation - point A - point B?

Or if all else fails - what are the roads like?

I appreciate any information anyone has.

Regards

Cairo, Egypt
reviews: 42
3. Re: How to reach Lausanne by Italy?

Europe2006:

Just two things worth mentioning:

1. When I rented a car to go all over Switzerland and Italy, the car rental company (actually I rented it from Lausanne) told me go anywhere but no Italy. It was either a No No or the insurance would sky rocket... I guess the country risk for theft was high for car rental companies. So what I did was rent a car in each country and travel through the border by train.

2. Driving on the Italian Riviera is OK but gets a bit difficult in some places, narrow streets at boarder of cliffs... if you are not used to them you tend to be a little on the slow side, which does not please those driving behind you :) and when a bus comes from the opposite side it is not fun. Additionally, parking in the small towns with narrow streets is not that convenient / easy.

Now back to your train question, it does not make sense to me all the train changes you mentioned. The main train station close to the Italian Riviera area will be Genoa (from which you will take a local train or bus or rent a car to your destination of choice on the coast). There are direct trains from Lausanne to Milan and from Mialn to Genoa... the trip time end to end should be 5 and a half hours to 6 hours, depending on which train you choose.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
4. Re: How to reach Lausanne by Italy?

To: “europe2006”

I am not familiar with “eur-rail”, perhaps you mean Rail Europe. For a complete listing of train schedules suggest that you use SBB at: http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm

Trains from Lausanne to Italy will pass through Brig Switzerland, the Simplon tunnel and into Milan (Milano) Italy. From there, one would change to trains for cities serviced along the Italian Riviera. You did not say were you planned to go but you could certainly go to Genoa (Genova) and then rent a car for cities without train service.

SBB shows that train travel from Lausanne to Genova could be as little as 5h 31m, to Papallo 6h 50m, to Porofina 6h 26m or to San Remo 8h 02m. Trains from Lausanne to all of these cities change in Milano and are then direct or perhaps 1 or 2 more change.

If you are looking at the Rail Europe website and thinking about buying some sort of Pass. STOP ! !

Do not buy anything from Rail Europe until you have read and considered the issues addressed in “The Enduring Questions” at: tripadvisor.com/…1431840

If you plan on taking only 2 or 3 train trips; a Pass will, most likely, be much more expensive than buying individual tickets for each train trip.

San Jose, California
reviews: 13
5. Re: How to reach Lausanne by Italy?

Giovanni A, I apologize for getting in on your post, I am new to communicating on forums and I am not sure of the correct protocol. So if I did it incorrectly, I am sorry. I would love to hear what you thought of the hotels in Lausanne, as I will be booking rooms next summer.

Sherif and Dougb,

Thank you both for the useful information.

I went back to review my notes on the train routes. I had orignally requested infomation to go from Geneva to San Remo, the suggested route was Geneva/Lyon/Valence/Avignon/Nice/Ventimiglia/San Remo.

I am very glad that I received a response from such seasoned traveller as your suggested route is so much better. I really appreciate all the great help.

Regards,

Pat