We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from Lucerne to glacier express

Which Zermatt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bangalore
Best route from Lucerne to glacier express

Hi TA community,

Our travel itinerary has 1 day trip from Lucerne to Glacier express and back to Lucerne on the same day. This is the route which they have mentioned. LUCERNE - ANDERMATT // VISP/ BRIG - LUCERNE. I want to know what this means? How long is this GE ? And how do i travel from Lucerne to andermatt?

Thanks

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
reviews: 265
1. Re: Best route from Lucerne to glacier express

The Glacier Express is a special panoramic tourist train and it takes ca. 8 hours from Zermatt to St. Moritz. Details see www.glacierexpress.ch/en/Pages/default.aspx

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 132
2. Re: Best route from Lucerne to glacier express

So it seems that they want you to do a part of the GE route, being Andermatt-Brig/Visp. You can do it on a GE train or a normal regional train, GE costs a bit more but has a guaranteed seat and audio comments.

See www.sbb.ch/en for the route Lucerne to Andermatt and Brig/Visp back to Lucerne.

Overall spoken it's a nice segment but not specifically the nicest parts of the GE route, those are in our opinion the Zermatt valley and the Rhine valley.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 164
3. Re: Best route from Lucerne to glacier express

On www.sbb.ch/en Input from Lucerne to Lucerne via Andermatt, press the advanced search button and Input via Disentis and Chur and Zurich you will get the roundtrip which takes between 7 and 8 hours on the train (no sightseeing).

I do not think this makes a lot of sense. Better look for an other excursion on the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum).

pore

bangalore
4. Re: Best route from Lucerne to glacier express

I want to thank all of you for instantly replying to my questions on TA. Appreciate all your help. :)

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
5. Re: Best route from Lucerne to glacier express

The section of the GEX from Andermatt to Visp is by no means the most beautiful part of the GEX route. And if you want to ride the GEX I would suggest you do this:

Luzern to Andermatt

GEX Andermatt to Chur

Chur to Luzern

From Andermatt the GEX climbs over the Oberalp pass, which is magnificent. Then down the Sursilva valley and through the gorges of the young Rhine before reaching Chur. This is a superb part of the line and well worth doing.

If you take the Andermatt-Visp part of the line you will spend 20mins in the Furka tunnel to start with, and then you have a relatively short run down the Vallée de Conches to Brig. There is one interesting tunnel on this route, above Bitsch, but really it is nothing to write home about.

Whatever you do on the GEX you must have a seat reservation. You get that from their site www.glacierexpress.ch If you take the normal trains over the same line no reservation is needed. but you will have to change trains in Disentis if you are travelling Andermatt to Chur. Andermatt to Brig there is no change needed.

6. Re: Best route from Lucerne to glacier express

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, June 26, 2014