We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich-Zermatt-Milan NEED HELP

Which Zermatt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 222
Zurich-Zermatt-Milan NEED HELP

We are planning a trip to Zermatt and flying into Zurich on a Friday. Looking into buying a Swiss Transfer Ticket. Looks like we will not have any issue from Zurich Airport to Zermatt. HOWEVER, we plan on going from Zermatt to Milan Centrale and it is not a border town in Switzerland. Does this mean we have to buy another ticket from Brig to Milan? If so, is this the most economical way - Swiss Transfer Ticket + Brig-Milan Ticket. Or, is there a more economical way of doing this? Also, should we buy this in advance for savings?

9 replies to this topic
canada
reviews: 10
1. Re: Zurich-Zermatt-Milan NEED HELP

From Zermatt to Milan, the border town is Domodossola, in Italy.

Whenever I have no control on train or plane arrival time, strikes and mudslide, I don't buy any rail tickets in advance. In your case either you buy the through train ticket the day before in Zermatt, and pay the difference, or go to Domodossola and buy a ticket on the regionale train to Milan.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
2. Re: Zurich-Zermatt-Milan NEED HELP

Hi, if you are thinking about using 1st class rail, you might think about a half fare card instead. They give you 50% off the lifts in Zermatt as well as 50% of all rail etc. A half fare card costs 120 francs. First class rail totals 315 francs from Zurich to Zermatt to Domodossola. The transfer ticket costs 213 francs for first class but you get no discount on the lifts in Zermatt which, I assume, you would be using, the savings is nearly 100 francs.

transfer ticket if you use all three lifts in Zermatt 413 approximately

1/2 fare card if you use all three lifts in Zermatt 377 approximately

point to point tickets using all three lifts in Zermatt 499 approximately

A half fare card also gives discounts on public transportation in Zurich, entrance to some museums etc.

If you decide on a transfer ticket, be sure to get it before you leave the US as it isn't available in Switzerland. You can get a half fare card at the airport in Zurich.

Hope this helps!

Houston, Texas
3. Re: Zurich-Zermatt-Milan NEED HELP

Hi Kileysmom,

Thanks for the info. We were not thinking of doing 1st class rail. I think based on your information, we would get the transfer ticket. And we would get this in the US. I found a website where we can get it for 150 USD and they would mail it to you.

Then we would buy the 3 day pass for Zermatt for 190 CHF on site in person. With all the different options, it's kind of confusing.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
4. Re: Zurich-Zermatt-Milan NEED HELP

$150 is about 135CHF. Since the Transfer ticket costs 213frs for First class here I would double check to be sure the site you saw is selling you a First class one and not a 2nd...

I think KM is right and that a HFC would do better for you.

Houston, Texas
5. Re: Zurich-Zermatt-Milan NEED HELP

Can you guys let me know if my calculations are correct here:

Half Fare Card = 120 CHF per person (can buy at the Zurich Train Station since we arrive at the Zurich Airport)

3 day Peak Pass with Half Fare Care = 143 CHF per person

KM said that 1/2 fare card if you use all three lifts in Zermatt is 377 (not sure if this is CHF).

Does this mean that if I buy a Rail ticket using the half price card from Zurich Train Station-Zermatt; Zermatt-Domodossola (we are going to Milan and I already bought the Domodossola to Milano Centrale Train ticket), it will be 114 CHF? I came up with this number based on KM's 377 amount. 377 CHF - 143 CHF - 120 CHF = 114 CHF

Just trying to make sure before we buy any tickets in the US. Thanks for your help.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
6. Re: Zurich-Zermatt-Milan NEED HELP

You need to sit down with pencil and paper and do the calculations. All the rail prices are on

www.sbb.ch/en

and the prices for the lifts at Zermatt are at

www.zermatt.ch/en

My prices were based on 1st class travel for the trains. The savings will be considerably less if you travel in 2nd class.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
7. Re: Zurich-Zermatt-Milan NEED HELP

And KM gave you the costs in CHF- Swiss francs. Today the USD (your dollar) is worth about .90 CHf or 90 centimes...

Houston, Texas
8. Re: Zurich-Zermatt-Milan NEED HELP

Thanks ladies. Yes, I went to www.sbb.ch/en to get actually ticket prices. I think based on this, the transfer ticket still works out to be a better deal. I am using 1 USD = .92 CHF (today's exchange).

Scenario 1 - Half Fare Card 2nd Class

120 CHF (Half Fare Card) + 143 CHF (3 Day Peak Pass with Half Fare Card) + 61.50 CHF (Zurich-Zermatt 2nd Class with Half Fare Card) + 26.70 CHF (Zermatt-Domodossola 2nd Class with Half Fare Card) = 351.20 CHF or 380.62 USD

Scenario 2 - Transfer Ticket 2nd Class

Transfer Ticket 150 USD + 206 USD (190 CHF 3 Day Peak Pass) = 356 USD

Scenario 2 has savings of about 24 USD.

I did the same for 1st class and the transfer ticket also came out ahead but only by 14 USD. I think Transfer Ticket is still the way to go?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
9. Re: Zurich-Zermatt-Milan NEED HELP

First - the actual rate you will get is likely to be 5 centimes less per USD than the rate posted. And the USD has been dropping these last days...

Second - if the difference is so small the HFC has all the advantages. I would get the HFC. Simply because you might have an unexpected wish to go somewhere and the Transfer ticket has no other advantages... with a HFC you can then get a 50% discount on whatever your latest whim might be! ie more flexibility!!

Reply to: Zurich-Zermatt-Milan NEED HELP
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zermatt