We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

we're confused by google map

Which Zermatt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
we're confused by google map

We're going to drive from Milan, Italy to Switzerland on 17th June and wish to see Matterhorn. I thought Zermatt would be the best place stay for a night before taking the cable car to the Kleines Materhorn. The first question is, can we drive to Zermatt? Many say you'll have to park your car as close as Tasch then take the train to Zermatt. But google map seemed just show us the way directly to Zermatt and didn't mention the train at all.

The second thing confused me is how far is it from Ayas, Italy to Zermatt? When searching Zermatt hotels online we were shown some hotels in Ayas and were told it's less than 20km to Zermatt. But on Google map it's some 150km!!! Is there anything wrong with Google map? or with my understanding?

Thank you very much in advance!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 144
1. Re: we're confused by google map

Hi there,

1] Yes there is a road between Tasch and Zermatt, but it's solely accessible for electric cars and for some licensed utility vehicles like the municipal garbage vans. NOT for normal cars. Limitation of Google Maps...

2] This is a common problem/limitation of hotel sites: they generally search hotels with 'as the crow flies' distances and don't recognize mountain massives etc. Some would even give UK hotels when searching for Calais France hotels, because the as-the-crow-flies distance is 30 km ;-) Here Google Maps is much better and is totally correct...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 221
2. Re: we're confused by google map

Hi

The first question is, can we drive to Zermatt? Definitively no. You would need a car at Taesch or even Visp and take the train to Zermatt. The road is not accessible for private drivers.

The second thing confused me is how far is it from Ayas, Italy to Zermatt? I do not know Ayas. See www.viamichelin.com

Best will be if you find your hotel on www.zermatt.ch

Is there anything wrong with Google map? or with my understanding? In my opinion with Google Maps.

Have fun

pore

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 144
3. Re: we're confused by google map

Ayas _is_ on Google Maps, and is in Aosta facing the Italian side of Matterhorn c.s.

But as mentioned above, here the bug is in the hotel search site and not in Google Maps...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 3
4. Re: we're confused by google map

> When searching Zermatt hotels online we were shown some hotels in Ayas and were told it's less than 20km to Zermatt. But on Google map it's some 150km!!!

Both is correct. The direct distance from Ayas to Zermatt is less than 20 km, but the only way you can get from Ayas to zermatt that quick would be by a high powered helicopter. (High powered because the direct crossing gets close to the altitude limit for normal helis) The driving distance to Täsch is ~ 260 km.

Lucerne, Switzerland
reviews: 11
5. Re: we're confused by google map

If you look at the terrain between Ayas and Zermatt on Google Earth rather than Google Maps, you will immediately see the problem :-)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 8
6. Re: we're confused by google map

You can drive a private car to Zermatt but ONLY if you are resident and have a permit. Even then, you park the car at the edge of the village and make your way to your house by other transportation. The exception is folks like doctors.

There is a large public parking garage at the rail station in Tasch. You can unload any luggage you need to take to Zermatt and then go to park the car so it is very easy. The train to Zermatt runs every few minutes and takes about 10 minutes. If you call your Zermatt hotel when you get to Tasch, they will send their electric vehicle to collect you at the station when your train arrives.

The only real choices for hotels are in Zermatt or one of the villages down the valley between Zermatt and Visp. Tasch is an option that many find acceptable. You can look for hotels in Tasch as well as Zermatt on the Zermatt website given above.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 3:44 pm, April 08, 2013
sydney
7. Re: we're confused by google map

Thank you all for your explanation! Now I know the limitation of both Google Maps and the hotel searching engines. So I'll see if I can find a cheap helicopter that's powerful enough to fly over the mountains and big enough for our rental car. If that doesn't work we may just stay at Zermatt or Tasch. Cheers!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 8
8. Re: we're confused by google map

Should you find such a helicopter availability, please let us know!

Have fun planning!

9. Re: we're confused by google map

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Zermatt