We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from geneva to zermatt

Which Zermatt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kolkata
Train from geneva to zermatt

Hi, everybody ! We are 4 friends and want to travel from geneva to zermatt by train in the first week of May , stay there for two nights and then to interlaken , again staying there for two nights , and then back to geneva . We request you to guide us how to travel , what are most picteresque places we should visit and so on . kindly guide us about the train from geneva to zermatt and zermatt to interlaken and interlaken to geneva .

Thanks a ton,

C. Khemka

India

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
1. Re: Train from geneva to zermatt

Hi, first, welcome to TA. Second, have a little patience - re-posting the same post an hour after the first doesn't help to get a reply any quicker - we reply when we have time!

I suggest you look at the Zermatt website

www.zermatt.ch/en

for information on Zermatt. By early May the village will be very quiet as the ski season will have ended but the summer tourism will not be in full swing.

You can get all the train timetables in English on the Swiss Raill website

www.sbb.ch/en

You can get lots of information on Interlaken at

www.interlaken.ch/en

Hope this helps you to get started.

Kolkata
2. Re: Train from geneva to zermatt

Hi, thank you for the information . Could you suggest good hotels in interlaken and Zermatt , and from geneva should we go to Interlaken or Zermatt first . Is the prices for glacier express train included in the swiss flexi pass . Thx.

San Francisco...
3. Re: Train from geneva to zermatt

I just did the train from Geneva to Zermatt this week. Its easy. Leaves at half past the hour, takes almost 3 hours to get to Visp, then a 10 min tranfer to the 50 min train ride up to Zermatt (the best part of the trip).

I did Zurich to Lucern to Interlaken (then on to Grindewald) so I cant say if its better to go there first, but Zermatt is more stunning than Interlaken and Grindelwald (although i love Grindelwald. If staying in Interlaken, be sure to go to kleine scheidegg or all the way up the moutain (another hour). Decent day trip from Interlaken.

I am at the Hotel Mont Cervin Palace. Highly recommend. Great views, new rooms, and great facilities. Right in the middle of everything but quiet and peaceful.

Best advice: Download the SBB Moble app to your iPhone. It is a life saver if you are traveling by train in Switzerland. You can plan all trips, see where all the trains are, and each time to each stop while you are on the train (watching your journey is surprising high tech). I had to plan my trains based on ever changing schedules, and never had to worry about what train to get and what platform to go to. Best app on my phone this week.

Edinburgh
reviews: 188
4. Re: Train from geneva to zermatt

You will have hit a raw nerve mentioning Interlaken on this forum, but as you've asked, don't stay in Interlaken. Wengen is stunning in the summer. From a valley facing balcony at the Sunstar Hotel, you see down into the great gash of the Lauerbrunnen valley (the original middle earth from Tolkein) with its waterfalls, there are mountain pastures above and glaciers tumbling from the Jungfrau at the end of the valley. Get the train up to Kliene Scheidegg to see the Eiger North Wall, and if time permits, go to Jungfraujoch.

Mix it up a little with a day on one of the lakes (eg stay in Merligen on Lake thun), for something a little different.

In terms of trains, it is possible to do a circular route Geneva - Visp - Zermatt - Visp - Interlaken - Wengen - Interlaken - Geneva.

Hanoi, Ha Noi...
5. Re: Train from geneva to zermatt

We are visitting Swizerland in 2 and a half day - too short trip for such marvelous heaven to explore. We booked flights in and out of the country in Geneva already. I'm wondering whether Geneva - Zermatt - Geneva is the best plan we can do for such short span of time or should we have enough time to stop in Montreux for couple of hours sight seeing during our trip back from Zermatt- Geneva . Basically, when we arrived in Geneva in first day's afternoon, we'll head to Zermatt by train; spend the night in Zermatt and will leave Zermatt next day late in the afternoon for Geneva. We plan to stay in Geneva for the night and leave Genveva next day in early evening.

Really appreciate if you could advise how we could make the most out of our condensed time in this wonderful country. Thanks alot.

rhode island
reviews: 103
6. Re: Train from geneva to zermatt

I suppose you can do it but for your sake I hope the weather is good. What time of year are you traveling?

7. Re: Train from geneva to zermatt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 06, 2014