We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bern to Zermatt

Which Zermatt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
reviews: 15
Bern to Zermatt

We will fly into Zuridh and take to train to Bern spending one night in Bern.

What is the best way to travel by train to Zermatt?

Then, what is the best way to travel by train to Lauderbrunnen?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
1. Re: Bern to Zermatt

You can go onto the Swiss Rail website and get the train timetables and fares in English

www.sbb.ch/en

Just put in Bern and Zermatt and for the next trip, Zermatt and Lauterbrunnen. It takes about 2.5 hours to go from Bern to Zermatt with a change in Visp - it's a tiny station so the change is very easy. It's just under three hours from Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen.

There really aren't choices in routes for either one of these as you are limited due to having to cross or go through mountains

Hope this helps.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
2. Re: Bern to Zermatt

Bit less, I think! An hour from Bern to Visp. An hour from Visp to Zermatt... and a few mintues to change in Visp.

Zermatt to Lauterbrunenn - take any train from Visp to Bern but get off in Spiez. Change there for Interlaken Ost and there for Lauterbrunenn.

Shellharbour
reviews: 25
3. Re: Bern to Zermatt

I would much appreciate any advice on the best train route from Bern to Milan. My problem is that i unfortunately have to do it all in one big day and i want to see as much as possible or would you recommend hiring a car for some of the journey. We will be traveling in june.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 2
4. Re: Bern to Zermatt

>I would much appreciate any advice on the best train route from Bern to Milan.

What is the definition of the best train route for you? Fastest? Most scenic? Cheapest?

Shellharbour
5. Re: Bern to Zermatt

Definately the most scenic option. I was thinking Bern to Zermatt with a couple of hours in Zermatt then on to Milan.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 2
6. Re: Bern to Zermatt

Then you need to take the old Lötschberg line via Kandersteg to Brig - takes an hour longer than the new line but worth it. Then on to Zermatt from there, and back to Brig for connection to Milan. If you have time you can take a bus over the Simplon pass for scenery, and catch the train in Domodossola to Milan

Edited: 1:52 am, January 25, 2013
Shellharbour
7. Re: Bern to Zermatt

Thanks so much, I looked up your route and i think it will be perfect.

I hope next time i have more time to spend in switzerland.

Shellharbour
8. Re: Bern to Zermatt

I will be travelling from Bern to Milan by train with sightseeing in Zermatt.

Can anyone tell me if there are secure facilities to leave my full size luggage in either Brig or Zermatt stations while we look around.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
9. Re: Bern to Zermatt

There are large lockers at the station in Zermatt. You will see them when you walk toward the station square from the platforms.

Shellharbour
10. Re: Bern to Zermatt

Great thanks very much.

Get answers to your questions about Zermatt