We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seiler's Hotel Victoria , Zermatt

Which Zermatt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast , Northern...
Seiler's Hotel Victoria , Zermatt

On my first holiday in Zermatt I stayed in the Hotel Victoria . It was an elegant and beautiful grand hotel directly opposite the station in Zermatt and was part of the Seiler group. Does anyone else remember it ? When was it demolished ? I can't even find any pics of it . It's as if it had never existed !

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
1. Re: Seiler's Hotel Victoria , Zermatt

This must have been sometime ago! There are still a couple of the grand old hotels in Zermatt - the Zermatterhof is probably the most typical of the grand and luxurious old hotels. You can get on the Zermatt website and find all of hotels there but you will probably get sticker shock so be prepared!

Hope this helps.

New York, NY
reviews: 8
2. Re: Seiler's Hotel Victoria , Zermatt

The location is now occupied by the Victoria apartment complex.

London
reviews: 9
3. Re: Seiler's Hotel Victoria , Zermatt

The Victoria "gave way" to an apartment building in 1969 according to the book of 150 years os Seiler Hotels.......

Belfast , Northern...
4. Re: Seiler's Hotel Victoria , Zermatt

Thank you so much for the information.

The hotel must have been pulled down soon after I enjoyed a wonderful two weeks there. Dinner every night in the beautiful restaurant with its fine plaster work, smoothly served under the watchful eye of the excellent maitre'd to the accompaniment of soft piano music, was something I shall never forget. It was a magical hotel in a magical little village. Oh dear I must be getting old !!

Edited: 8:46 pm, January 12, 2013
London
reviews: 9
5. Re: Seiler's Hotel Victoria , Zermatt

I know the feeling! The Victoria was owned by the Seiler Family - considerd as the original pioneers of hotel operations in Zermatt - they owned the first Zermatt hotel, the Monte Rosa (from the late 1800s), the Mont Cervin, the Nicoletta and the Schweizerhof. I think they sold the Victoria to finance the modernisation of the Monte Rosa. The Seiler Hotel group was sold to a company called Jelmoli in 2007 and is now effectively part of a retail/property group listed in Switzerland - but the Seiler Hotels Zermatt are still operated as a discrete group. There used to be a system whereby guests in one hotel could dine around at any of the others. If I was looking for a traditional well managed hotel in Zermatt which was most reminiscent of what I think you may have experienced at the Victoria I would go for the Monte Rosa....having said which the Mont Cervin is the flagship hotel, and the Zermatterhof (not part of Seiler Hotels) is the other main choice 5 star hotel in town. Zermatt is still a great and cosy place - although probably a lot more commercial than you remember!

6. Re: Seiler's Hotel Victoria , Zermatt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 16, 2014