We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to get CHF in Sion on a Sat

Which Sion hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
reviews: 5
where to get CHF in Sion on a Sat

arriving from Italy into Sion on a weekend, and will need to change some money - where to do this

10 replies to this topic
bern
1. Re: where to get CHF in Sion on a Sat

Easiest is usually to get money from an ATM. If you want to exchange the train station has fair rates and is open on weekends. sbb.ch/content/…

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
2. Re: where to get CHF in Sion on a Sat

Cash machine on the outside of the post office which is near the station or at any bank...Sion is a small town and geting cash shouldn't take you more than 10 mins. If you ask at the station for the nearest bank someone will tell you. Basically just walk up the avenue de la Gare.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 164
3. Re: where to get CHF in Sion on a Sat

H, sorry, banks are closed on Saturdays. The railway station or ATM's are the points to get money.

pore

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
4. Re: where to get CHF in Sion on a Sat

Pore - for heavens' sake! ALL the banks (at least here in the VS, maybe not in the" la Suisse Profonde"!!) have ATM's which are open 24/7. Which is why I said go to a bank.... Don't the banks in Luzern have ATM's? I would be surprised if they did not...

australia
Destination Expert
5. Re: where to get CHF in Sion on a Sat

I will be wanting to exchange cash (Euro/AUD), so looks like the station, or doing it before leaving Italy (or even Australia) are the options.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 164
6. Re: where to get CHF in Sion on a Sat

H, for exchange of foreign currency ATM's do definitively not help. So here is the list of the railway stations who offer to change currencies - sbb.ch/content/… -.

OK?

pore

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
7. Re: where to get CHF in Sion on a Sat

Ohhh! Sorry I missed the fact that the OP wants to change money!! Best bet on a Sunday is simply at the station counter. They all change money.

ATM rate is always better than changing money though.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
8. Re: where to get CHF in Sion on a Sat

Exchanging cash costs quite a bit more than withdrawing money from ATMs. The exchange rate is nothing like as good.

australia
Destination Expert
9. Re: where to get CHF in Sion on a Sat

understand ATM are better rates but the fuller story is, Switzerland comes after 2 and half weeks in France, Belgium, Netherlands, where will be using euro's, stored on a Amex Global travel card to avoid carrying 'too much' cash but will withdraw the balance in Milan, before going to Sion.

Couldnt store CHF on any travel card, so will change some AUD plus the left over Euro, basically for the smaller purchases. Credit card will do for any larger expenses.

ATM isnt really an option - my Aust accounts (which serve me ok 95% of time) have high o/seas charges, and opening a new (low/no fee) account seemed rather involved/unnecessary. For the CHF we are only talking few hundred, not mega bucks so I'll cop the poorer exchange.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
10. Re: where to get CHF in Sion on a Sat

OK - so the best place on a Sunday (and most convenient since you are arriving by train) is the ticket window at the station. Big sign says "Change".

Reply to: where to get CHF in Sion on a Sat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted