We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from lugano to montreaux not covered?

Which Lugano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hradec Kralove...
train from lugano to montreaux not covered?

Hello

I'm planning to go to Montreaux from Lugano via Lucarno-Dumodossola route

I'm planning to buy a Swiss Youth Pass but it seems that it is train fare to Montreaux is not fully covered via those route...

Based on the map..i hve to change to buses at Iselle di tresquera en route to Brig..

My question is:

Do you if there is a way not to change to bus and kept on train instead?

thank you

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 46
1. Re: train from lugano to montreaux not covered?

There is a train line from Domodossola through Iselle to Brig and the 100 year old Simplon tunnel perhaps you are confusing the dotted line for the bus route.

The bus route over the Simplon Pass is worth doing but only if you have the time and inclination.

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
reviews: 2
2. Re: train from lugano to montreaux not covered?

Go to:- www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

Enter - From - Locarno - To - Montreux - Via - Domodossola and the train connections will be shown.

The route is fully covered by the Swiss Pass.

Hradec Kralove...
3. Re: train from lugano to montreaux not covered?

Hello

I've checked the latest validity map for the Swiss Pass and there is definitely a dotted red line from Domodossola to Iselle..so it is not fully covered and its only on 50% discount...

The yellow line is however fully covered and it is for bus..

If i have to take the bus..do you know if it will be that much longer than the train..thank you

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 146
4. Re: train from lugano to montreaux not covered?

You're mixing up two types of dotted lines. The SMALL dots, e.g. Uzznach to Wattwil and Oberwald to Realp, are described in the legend at the bottom and are 50% - probably some mountain railway as main connection. The LARGE dashes, e.g. Airolo to Goschenen (Gotthard tunnel), are simply rail tunnels often on mainlines. Including Domodossola to Brig. Which are not in the legend but really fully covered by Swiss Pass, we can confirm from experience!

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
reviews: 2
5. Re: train from lugano to montreaux not covered?

> there is definitely a dotted red line from Domodossola to Iselle..so it is not fully

This is not a dotted line but a broken line indicating a tunnel. The route is FULLY covered by the Swiss Pass.

Hradec Kralove...
6. Re: train from lugano to montreaux not covered?

Oh..silly me..sorry guys..shouldn't have disagree with the experts :)

Thank you for your replies swissaholic and erikdR..but i think i would want to do the Simplon Pass insteas as suggested by (mostlybytrain)..it would take longer but it is more scenic than the tunnel i suppose

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 46
7. Re: train from lugano to montreaux not covered?

Some of the bus services start from outside the station in Domodossola and all end at the Bahnhofplatz in Brig. Checkout the timetable on www.fahrplanfelder.ch

8. Re: train from lugano to montreaux not covered?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 12, 2015