We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interlaken West or Ost?

Which Lugano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Luzon, Philippines
Interlaken West or Ost?

My family and I plan to stay at Interlaken for 3 nights. Our main purpose is a day trip up Jungfraujoch and then just enjoy Interlaken area for the next 2 days. I'm looking for hotel accommodations in the area. Am I right in my research that Interlaken West is in the city center and therefore it would make more sense for me to look for a hotel in that area? I do know that the train to go up Jungfraujoch is at Interlaken Ost.

5 replies to this topic
1. Re: Interlaken West or Ost?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:50 am, February 28, 2014

2. Re: Interlaken West or Ost?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:50 am, February 28, 2014

Llanelli, United...
reviews: 192
3. Re: Interlaken West or Ost?

Interlaken is not that big a place! There are supermarkets near to both the West and Ost stations, restaurants and shops are walkable from anywhere, so just pick an affordable hotel you like the look of and go from there!

Adelaide
reviews: 188
4. Re: Interlaken West or Ost?

Neither!

Interlaken is a fairly dismal transport hub. If your main aim is to do the Jungfraujoch trip and enjoy the area, then why not stay in the area? Wengen, Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen are all ideal jumping off points for Jungfraujoch. Murren is great too, but a little more time needed for the Jungfrau trip. (You have to go down to Lauterbrunnen then up through Wengen.)

All these villages are much better places to base yourselves than Interlaken, and are ideal for exploring the area.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 157
5. Re: Interlaken West or Ost?

Hi seg95

Even if Interlaken is not the most beautiful place in the area, I do not think it is as bad as some people say. For me I anyway would prefer Grindelwald as a base if you do not priorize to visit places along lake Brienz or Thun. For mountain excursions you are closer from the departure railway station than from Interlaken Ost. The most beautiful sights are in the center between the two stations where you have Jungfrau in front of you.

pore

Reply to: Interlaken West or Ost?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted