We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lugano - Interlaken West

Which Lugano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Luzon, Philippines
Lugano - Interlaken West

I will be coming from Lugano, with Interlaken West as my destination. I know there are several route choices to reach Interlaken but I would really like to pass through the Simplon Tunnel. The shortest route I found (4:35 hours) passes Milano Centrale, Spiez then Interlaken West. Does this route go through the Simplon Tunnel?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 144
1. Re: Lugano - Interlaken West

Hi there,

Most likely. Select 'via' in the routeplanner screen and then Brig or Domodossola, that guarantees a trip through the tunnel.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Luzon, Philippines
2. Re: Lugano - Interlaken West

Thank you for your quick reply. Yes I tried both Via Brig and Via Domodossola and the route "Lugano-Milano Centrale-Spiez_Interlaken West" at 4:35 hours comes out as the first choice.

I just want to be sure that it does in fact pass through the Simplon Tunnel. I'm just worried that i may have misread the map and that there is a way from Milano Centrale to Spiez without passing through Brig / Simplon Tunnel.

3. Re: Lugano - Interlaken West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:50 am, February 28, 2014
4. Re: Lugano - Interlaken West

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:50 am, February 28, 2014
Luzon, Philippines
5. Re: Lugano - Interlaken West

Hi Alfred. Yes i saw that route! While I'm all for the shortest way possible, I'm also about taking in the gorgeous views which is what the Swiss train journeys are all about. I'm now so inclined to take your suggestion especially since the time difference isn't much. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

As for why the Simplon Tunnel (Lotschberg included)...that was part of my mother in law's "must do list" for this trip. She's turning 82 and she is re-living her Swiss experience since her first trip to Switzerland 50 years ago (she's been there several times since then, last year being the most recent together with my husband and I and our 2 kids). She wants to take her grand kids to the places she's been to. Even at that age, she's all about the highest mountain, the tallest peak, the longest tunnel, the steepest cogwheel, etc. She's done the Gotthard tunnel too. Last year she took us to Mont Blanc (Although that's in the French side, but we took that tour from Geneva). Due to time constraint last year, we missed out on Junfraujoch, hence, that is what this trip to Interlaken is all about. The Simplon / Lotschberg Tunnels are the big bonuses en route.

We will be visiting Locarno on a day trip during our 3 night stay at Lugano.

Thank you once again for your suggestion. You have been most helpful.

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
reviews: 2
6. Re: Lugano - Interlaken West

Since 2007 mainline trains now run through the Lötschberg Base Tunnel. If you wish to travel though the original Lötschberg Tunnel between Goppenstein and Kandersteg then you will need to catch a slower local train from Brig to Spiez. For times add Goppenstein as a 'Via' when searching the on the SBB timetable.

Luzon, Philippines
7. Re: Lugano - Interlaken West

Thank you swissaholic! I will look into that

8. Re: Lugano - Interlaken West

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 23, 2015