We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich, Vienna, Lugano, Milan, Cinque Terre

Which Lugano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
Zurich, Vienna, Lugano, Milan, Cinque Terre

I'm a fairly experienced travel. This May I'll be taking a trip to Switzerland for an MBA class. I'm choosing to extend my trip in Europe for 7 days after. A friend of mine is meeting me in Zurich at the end of the Switzerland trip. We've been thinking about going to Vienna for a couple of nights (the flights are fairly cheap), coming back to Zurich and then renting a car and driving down to Cinque Terre. We would make short stops in Lugano, Switzerland and Milan. Both cities are right on the way. Does this sound like a good itinerary? Are there other cities we should be stopping in? Should we spend a night in Zurich or Milan? How many days do you need in Cinque Terre? Right now, we have it scheduled to spend three nights there. I realize we are trying to fit a lot in but we like to be on the go.

5 replies to this topic
canada
reviews: 10
1. Re: Zurich, Vienna, Lugano, Milan, Cinque Terre

Points to ponder:- 1) on rental car --- cross border drop-off charges; parking space in Milan; only 2 villages in CT are accessible by car. 2) On cities -- why cities only? Between Milan and CT, there are m,any towns worth stopping, for food and stroll. What are you looking for during your trip? Your interests? If you like to be on the go, 3 days in CT may be boring.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 275
2. Re: Zurich, Vienna, Lugano, Milan, Cinque Terre

Plus the Gotthard tunnel by car can be a hassle (traffic jam on certain days lasting hours). I would definitively consider the train at least to Milano. And a night in Lugano, on the way, can be nice.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 119
3. Re: Zurich, Vienna, Lugano, Milan, Cinque Terre

If you want to walk in the Cinque Terre then do not take a car and definitely not a Swiss rental one. You would have to leave it for long periods in public car parks which in Italy are never secure. (Well, almost never...) And the drop charges alluded to above can be horrendous. Like $1000 !! You do not need that.

It is very easy to take the train from Zürich to Lugano (3 hrs) and on to Milano Centrale (1 hr) and from there to la Spezia for the Cinque Terre. Train takes under 3 hrs from Milan.

Lugano, Switzerland
4. Re: Zurich, Vienna, Lugano, Milan, Cinque Terre

Nice to read about your trip to Switzerland and Italy. On your way from Zürich to Cinque Terre, you could stop in Luzern, in Como, in Milano. You could spend a night or more nights in Lugano, beautiful city on the lake, before crossing the border into Italy. Please consult the website www.luganoturismo.ch for any further information. You could explore Europe with a Eurail train pass, instead of renting a car, and travel from the center of one city to the next, enjoying and relaxing www.eurail.com.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 119
5. Re: Zurich, Vienna, Lugano, Milan, Cinque Terre

Sorry - but I am sure that while Lugano Tourism knows about Lugano clearly they don't know that a Eurail pass is not the way to go! Too expensive, too restricted (not valid in a lot of places) and sold by a travel agent!!

Use www.sbb.ch/en

and

www.trenitalia.com

for trains, tickets and fares...

Reply to: Zurich, Vienna, Lugano, Milan, Cinque Terre
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted