We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive and reliable taxi/car service in Lugano

Which Lugano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 91
Inexpensive and reliable taxi/car service in Lugano

Our daughter will be living in Lugano for 6 months this January. We will visit her from time to time and, she as well, might need a car/taxi service. Can anyone recommend any safe, reliable and inexpensive service? We visited a few months ago and every taxi ride from 2-15 mins long cost $25!

14 replies to this topic
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
1. Re: Inexpensive and reliable taxi/car service in Lugano

Yeah that's what it is. Taxis are metered and the fares are set by the city. A taxi is, generally speaking, the most expensive means of transport you could use.

Have you and your daughter ever considered using public transport, like everyone else does?

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
reviews: 139
2. Re: Inexpensive and reliable taxi/car service in Lugano

By international standards, hourly rates for front-line workers in Switzerland are high. You should expect CHF40 per hour minimum for babysitting, house cleaning etc. So of course a short taxi ride, considering the car, fuel, waiting time etc. costs that sort of amount. Frankly, 15 mins in a taxi is normally much more than $25.

This is very different to the US where taxi drivers are very poorly paid and public transportation isn't for everyone. In Switzerland, everyone (almost) uses public transport to some extent.

With that background, I would be very nervous about putting my daughter in a 'cheap' taxi recommended by a stranger on the internet! If the taxi is really much cheaper, you have to wonder about legality.

Dallas, Texas
3. Re: Inexpensive and reliable taxi/car service in Lugano

JT14,

I appreciate your wise words. Indeed, I would be careful about taxi recommendations esp for my daughter. You're right. That's why I asked for a safe and reliable one that someone would have had some history with. But your point is well taken.

Cabs here in Dallas are expensive too. I get it but compared to other cities, Lugano's taxi service was expensive.

And Blandine, thank you for the sarcasm. We have used public transport throughout Europe but this post is for the just in case scenarios. That's the beauty of Tripadvisor. Knowing full well public transport abounds in Europe, I would not pose the question for fun or to be elitist. We genuinely need a recommendation. Sorry if it offended you. We used the Lugano taxi in the summer when we visited because my daughter was ill and we had to go to the doc then the pharmacist and also visit the school then back to the station to catch our tight train connection. Also, we were going to use the taxi when transporting all her baggage and when mailing boxes at the post office.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 3
4. Re: Inexpensive and reliable taxi/car service in Lugano

No matter what the reason to use them is, taxis in continental Europe are regulated by municipality. The town sets a rate and thst is it. You dont get "cheap" or "expensive", reliable or nonreliable services. It costs what the city of Lugano says it costs. Full stop. And if you call a dispatcher s/he will simply route the next available car to your location, you dont get to choose. There is with other words nothing to recommend - either you use the taxi system as whole or not.

Dallas, Texas
5. Re: Inexpensive and reliable taxi/car service in Lugano

Altamiro,

Thank you for your feedback. I understand. It's regulated. It's just a little more in lugano.

A car service would be even more I suspect. I want my daughter to have something to fall back on in case she needed it. I need to research further. I want something safe and reliable should she need a ride to the doctor. Hopefully not.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
6. Re: Inexpensive and reliable taxi/car service in Lugano

No, sorry, you didnt Suite understand. There are no "car services" for traveling inside the city. There is no competition between the taxi firms or between business models. You pay the taxi prices by meter, set by the city, no matter what. This is not binding for trips outside the city but the market for that is tiny, so all there is are mostly VIP limo services. You pay the taxi price or you pay the bus ticket price, and that is it.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
7. Re: Inexpensive and reliable taxi/car service in Lugano

In some European cities, private car services will serve like a taxi but that doesn't appear to be the case in Lugano. I imagine that your daughter will be a dab hand at using the bus, the tram, etc. within a few days! Surely, too, the school has a car available or will call for an ambulance if there is a medical emergency.

Otherwise, it seems, the answer is to pay the regulated rate for a taxi (locals do not tip a taxi driver so the fare includes the tip - if it is 6.5 CHF and the driver has handled luggage etc. then round up if you wish but there is o expectation). We are accustomed to small fares with a big tip expected and, often, verbally demanded! I find the fares about equal to American fares with the expected tip!

Hope this helps.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
8. Re: Inexpensive and reliable taxi/car service in Lugano

In case of an asthma related emergency, forget any taxi or car service - you will need an ambulance car.

Dallas, Texas
9. Re: Inexpensive and reliable taxi/car service in Lugano

Thanks, Kileysmom. I try to tell my husband not to overtip. I hate the whole concept of tipping really. That's why I love Japan. It's either included or they don't want you to tip. I think you're right. If the fare is exhorbitant then the tip should be in there or just rounded up.

Altimiro, yes. Hopefully it will not come to that but there are times when it's a bad allergy attack ( like the flu but not an emergency). Only an asthma doctor can prescribe the proper meds so that's when I'd call for a cab.

I think we will just use the taxi that the school called for us in June. The headmaster said he uses the guy all the time. $25 to go 5 minutes down the street but he was very helpful and courteous.

Lugano, Switzerland
10. Re: Inexpensive and reliable taxi/car service in Lugano

Good afeternoon,

we suggest you to have a look at the following link lugano.ch/en/…taxi-tipo-A.html where you can find informations about the prices of the taxi in Lugano (unfortunately only available in italian). The taxi type "Taxi A" are the ones who are regulated from the municipality.

Best regards

InfoTeam

Ente Turistico del Luganese

Reply to: Inexpensive and reliable taxi/car service in Lugano
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted