We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain biking / hiking - June 2013

Which St. Moritz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Mountain biking / hiking - June 2013

Hi,

My fiancée and I will be in st moritz in June 2013 for 3 days. We intend to do some mountain biking and hiking to take in the spectacular scenery but are relatively new to this. What are the chances of a newbie hiker/mountain biker getting lost on the trials? Also, which trials are recommended? Are there also tour agencies offering hiking or mountain biking day trips? Would it be better for us to take a day tour from these agencies or to go it alone? Many thanks in advance

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
1. Re: Mountain biking / hiking - June 2013

Hi lowyy83,

I would say it's pretty difficult to get lost on the mountain biking trails in this region -- they are very well signposted. I was a novice cycler (am still at the novice fitness level though) when I cycled the area and had a total blast.

There are trails around the lakes that are really fun and pretty, and of course the main trail that runs next to the Inn River all the way from St. Moritz to Innsbruck. I did two parts of this trail and really could have biked forever, it was so easy and flat and so much fun.

No need to hire someone to do this for you as it's so simple to do. Here is a link to the online guide for this route:

veloland.ch/en/…route-065.html

You can rent bikes from many train stations in the area, then take a train to or from your start/end points for the day. Or, the site listed above will have some ideas about where to rent from.

Have fun as you plan!

s

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
reviews: 245
2. Re: Mountain biking / hiking - June 2013

There are agencies, but I dont know if they have the service in June. However, I would suggest to go independently and not have to rush after others or have to wait for others. There are tours of all levels and they are well good signposted with numbers and directions, so you will not get lost. And you will receive a map with the tours upon arrival. So no problem here.

Mountainbiking is beautiful here. Have a look at the tours here: …stmoritz.ch/sommer/… Some of them offer interactive maps and 3D-vision of the tour (this will be available for hikers as well for the coming summer season).

Make sure to book a hotel participating in the "mountain cable cars included" special …stmoritz.ch/sommer/en/bergbahnen-inclusive/ - the Corviglia cablecars transports your bike, leaving you only the fun part of the descent.

Singapore, Singapore
3. Re: Mountain biking / hiking - June 2013

Thank you for your kind responses.

We will be in St. Moritz from 11 to 13 June 2013. As we are planning on taking the Bernina express which arrives at 1217, we should have at least 1.5 days to explore the area. We are planning on doing a hike on Muottas Muragl on the day of arrival followed by a full day of biking on Corviglia the next day. Are there any recommended trails we should be doing? Also any other attractions/points of sightseeing we should not be missing out on (ps: I read on this forum that a trip to Alp Grum may be a worthwhile trip to make)?

We want to take in as much as the Swiss Alps as we can in our short time there!

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
reviews: 245
4. Re: Mountain biking / hiking - June 2013

You alone know about your fitness level, so have a look at the trails website I gave you the link, the choice is big and it will be a difficult decision to choose just one of them. Other attractions: innumerous, but you will not have time to do more with just such a short time. Forget Alp Grüm, you will pass through with the Bernina Express, but after a day bike excursion you will not be able to go there or Diavolezza. If you want to visit there, plan to take a normal train instead of the Express and get off at Alp Grüm and skip one train, or get off at Bernina Diavolezza and get up to Diavolezza before continuing, but you would have to pay for it, as you will not have the complimentary pass before checkin into your hotel. Then you could evenually go to Muottas Muragl for a romantic sunset dinner, as the cablecar there runs late as they are open for dinner. This is the most you could try to pack into the short time and days are long in June.

Bethesda, Maryland
5. Re: Mountain biking / hiking - June 2013

These posts have peaked my interest in biking a bit. This trip is for me and my daughter and a day biking adventure would have to be fairly flat for me. Any ideas. I will be coming in on the bernina express and staying the night in St. Moritz and returning to Italy the next day. Much too short I know but what I have to work with this time. Any ideas? Thank you!!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
6. Re: Mountain biking / hiking - June 2013

For bms-6,

As I noted above, either around one of the lakes in the area or down the trail next to the Inn River (maybe from St. Moritz to Bever or Zuoz). Absolutely flat.

Either take the bikes on the train back to St. Moritz (5 chf, I believe, to take a bike on the train) or rent one-way and return the bikes in Zuoz and hop on the return train.

s

Bethesda, Maryland
7. Re: Mountain biking / hiking - June 2013

Thank you! I am not in the very best of physical conditioning but can do more than 90% of people that are 63. My daughter is 21 and we are going to have a great time no matter what we choose. Making these decisions with so many wonderful choices is tough! Thank you for your kind assistance.

Bethesda, Maryland
8. Re: Mountain biking / hiking - June 2013

Any input on which side of bernina express one should choose to sit going from Tirano to st moritz.

Bethesda, Maryland
9. Re: Mountain biking / hiking - June 2013

Also, does a first class ticket reservation on bernina express allow you to make a seat reservation? I would rather not fight for window seats

Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
reviews: 91
10. Re: Mountain biking / hiking - June 2013

Bernina Express - the train twists and turns so much that it doesn't matter which side you are on... and the seating configuration in 1st class is 1seat/aisle/2seats, so you will not need to "fight" for a window seat... have no stress.

Alp Gruem - definetly a great place for a 1hr stop in between trains, or even for a simple overnight. After the last train you are alone here and the night sky is amazing!

For a great and somewhat easier bike ride (or a long days hike) - perhaps for those who need not climb 45 degree inclines - the Rosegg valley from Pontresina is beautiful. It is about 3km of mountain rd - reserved for a few tourist horse carriages - to a hotel (food/drinks), and then another 1km of path to the lake where you must leave the bikes and then can hike the final 1km to the end of the lake at the foot of the Rosegg glacier. (or for the really adventurous - you can continue up to the SAC hut and stay over the night) Spectacular!

Hope it helps.

Edited: 6:11 pm, May 06, 2013