We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Moritz in May

Which St. Moritz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lawrenceville...
reviews: 21
St Moritz in May

Hello - we will be in northern Italy in early May & have decided to add a day trip to St. Moritz on the Bernina Express to our itinerary. I know this is "shoulder" season & not the best time to visit the Alps, but our dates are not flexible. We will only be in the town long enough for some lunch & maybe a walk around the lake before returning to Italy by car. I would like to avoid packing fleece that we will only need for part of this one day - but I also don't want to be forced indoors (unless it's raining) if I come unprepared. Anyone familiar with this time of year? I'm hoping to get by with tech layers & a scarf - too optimistic? Also, does anyone know if you can rent bikes near the train station to bike around the lake at this time of year?

Thanks for your help!

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
reviews: 265
1. Re: St Moritz in May

This being transition season, weather is even less predicable than already usually. It can be nice and warm and sunny in May, it however is possible that it is snowing. The lake will most probably still have a thin ice cover, but if it is sunny, the sun is already strong (it is already warming now). But you should be ok with dressing in layers, so dont worry. For lunch, it may be too early to sit outside anyway. Usually in May the restaurant Segelcub along the lake stays open (as this is the time building construction starts during off-season and so many workers go there to have lunch as it is nice and inexpensive) and their view from the restaurant is the same as from the terrace.

The walk around the lake is nice, but the part towards the forest may be muddy - depending on how the season goes along now. Instead you could hike towards Meierei or even Lake Staz (or get off the train at Pontresina and hike from there to Lake Staz and further to St. Moritz), a very nice hike in the sunny part. Both restaurants however will be closed, so plan accordingly.

I dont know how you get back by car if you come by train, but then I take it you have planned this.

You may rent bikes at the train station, even e-bikes.

Lawrenceville...
2. Re: St Moritz in May

Thank you, Engadiner - very helpful & informative. I will look into the hikes you mentioned so we will have options, and we'll hope for good weather. I don't know either how we will get back by car, but I'm told that the driver that takes us to Tirano to meet the train will meet us in St. Moritz for the drive back to the Lake Como area. This is a regular trip that they offer, so I assume he will follow the bus route to Chiavenna on the way back? Even if May is not the best time to visit, we are still looking forward to our trip!

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
3. Re: St Moritz in May

Well, with just a few hours I would not worry, you will not really have seen St. Moritz and you will probably not even notice it is off-season. And then, what you are traveling so far for is the surrounding nature and not the boutiques and jewellers I suppose - so you really will not miss anything.

If this is an organized tour, that is ok, I thought you planned to drive back yourselves. Also the drive through the Bregaglia valley back from snow and ice to the green pastures and blossoms will be nice and impressive, so absolutely plan to do this still with day-time to enjoy it.

May can be beautiful, as long as you accept that some things are closed. If you would have more time to spend, an excursion up to Diavolezza would make a perfect day, the cablecar there being open and bringing you in a paradise of glaciers, peaks and snowfields. But with the express, this is not possible. It would be, if you would take a normal train, get off at Bernina Diavolezza (check timetables on www.sbb.ch and put in Tirano as starting point, Diavolezza as destination, again new search Diavolezza as starting point and St. Moritz as destination). Instead of the oneway-ticket with a compulsory reservation fee, in this case you would take just the oneway-ticket Tirano to St. Moritz. That is what I would do in May with just the few hours you have at disposition. But only with nice weather, otherwise you would sit in a cloud and see absolutely nothing and the return fare for the ride is CHF 33.00 per person, so decide on the spot. See http://www.diavolezza.ch/en/ for Diavolezza and www.engadin.stmoritz.ch for the Engadin St. Moritz area.

Lawrenceville...
4. Re: St Moritz in May

Thanks again - I will save your recommendations for another time when we will have some time to spend in Switzerland to see more of the country & can plan our trip when things are open. This trip is a private tour that is concentrated on areas in Northern Italy, so this will be a brief view of the beautiful mountains only (by train going north, then by car on the return) but we are very interested in returning, so I appreciate your suggestions.

You are clearly an expert on the area, thank you for sharing your wisdom!

Alhambra, California
5. Re: St Moritz in May

I plan to go to St. Moritz in May this year. Would you please tell me if Chanel boutique is open or shut down in May in St. Moritz?

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
6. Re: St Moritz in May

Not sure about Chanel, some of the designer boutiques along Via Serlas (where the Badrutt's Palace Hotel is) close during off-season, a few stay open. Most of them are by the same franchising taker (Trois Pommes Zurich). Please next time ask your question in your own thread instead of kidnapping someone else's - especially as your questions is so much different than the OP's.

7. Re: St Moritz in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 07, 2014