We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Moritz Glacier Express Train Station

Which St. Moritz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 35
St Moritz Glacier Express Train Station

Hi,

Would anyone know where the Glacier Express starts its journey from in St Moritz? What is the name of the train station? This will help us plan our stay at a hotel nearby.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 157
1. Re: St Moritz Glacier Express Train Station

Hi Prince_nz

The train starts from the railway station at St. Moritz. You can google "railway station St. Moritz" at Google maps and you will find the closest hotels.

pore

Sydney, Australia
2. Re: St Moritz Glacier Express Train Station

Thanks for that.. Ill be arriving in st moritz near midnight and leaving early the next day..

that gives me some pice of mind :)

thanks again

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
3. Re: St Moritz Glacier Express Train Station

Are you going all the way to St Moritz to catch the GE?? If so, you don't need to...

If you are coming from Zurich, catch it in Chur. The most scenic part of the ride is between Chur and Oberwald in the Valais. If you go all the way to St M. you are going to go over the same stretch of line twice between Chur and St. M.

Also this would give you a night in Zurich - Chur is only an hour from Zurich by fast train. GE leaves Chur around noon.

It seems a shame to arrive in St M so late in the evening, see nothing of the area (which is very beautiful) and then head off at 9am the next day.

Edited: 7:14 am, October 28, 2010
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 157
4. Re: St Moritz Glacier Express Train Station

Hi Prince_nz

Hambagahle's suggestion is correct even if the track from Chur to St. Moritz (Albula line) is very interesting. It is part of the Unesco World Heritage of the Bernina Express.

pore

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
5. Re: St Moritz Glacier Express Train Station

the albula section is particularly interesting in winter when people hire sleds at the top of the pass and sled down, next to the train. However this section of the journey only lasts a few minutes and it hardly seems worth all the to-ing and fro-ing to St M. just for that! You will also see (in winter) lots and lots of skiing etc on the Oberalp pass before Andermatt. This section is quite extensive and the views remarkable, especially when you consider they are from a train!

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 34
6. Re: St Moritz Glacier Express Train Station

I have to disagree with Hambagahle's appraisal of the Albula.

The line is more than the sledging section there is a gradual climb as you leave Reichenau-Tamins through Thusis where the valley closes in quickly. Magnificent viaducts at Sollis and just before Filisur the world famous Landwasser viaduct. After Filisur the line spirals then climbs high on a ledge to Bergun onwards and upwards through more loops and spirals passing through the Albula tunnel reaching the champagne climate of the Engadine.

If you have time it's worth exploring this area and watching the trains in this unique enviroment and yes even hire a sledge to take part on the run from Preda to Bergun.

Edited: 10:50 am, October 28, 2010
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
7. Re: St Moritz Glacier Express Train Station

I agree about the Landwasser viaduct ... but it is very hard to see when you are in the train. A fleeting glimpse, if you can catch it, once the announcement is made. However for train buffs there is no doubt this section of the line is interesting. For scenery - give me the Rhine gorges and the Oberalp pass!!

the Landwasser must be fascinating to see from the valley. Any idea of how to do this, MBT?

Sydney, Australia
8. Re: St Moritz Glacier Express Train Station

Hi guys,

We are actually travelling from Munich to St Moritz. Due to the fact we arrive late at night we dont mind back tracking and seeing the connection to Chur the next morning. Its a shame that we wont be able to explore St Moritz, but we would rather do the GE and have more time in Zermatt, interlaken & Lucerne.

However if travelling to Chur from Munich would be better for us as train from munich to st moritz will take about 7hours or so, then will definately look into it.

thanks all for their suggestions

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
reviews: 25
9. Re: St Moritz Glacier Express Train Station

Munich - St. Moritz is indeed more than 7 hours. GE to Zermatt next day is again more than 7 hours. You have to decide, but for me this would definitively be too much time in a moving boxl!

Personally I would follow Hambagahle's advice. Spend the night in Chur, which is an attractive small town. This saves you more than two hours of train travel for both days. Or plan to stay in St. Moritz for at least two nights to do justice to this great area.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
10. Re: St Moritz Glacier Express Train Station

I think chur would be a good plan. OR Zurich. Zurich is a wonderful city, and there are lots of things to see and to do there. The old town is nothing short of magnificent!! What time of year are you coming?

Chur itself, should you decide on this, is Switzerland's oldest recorded constantly lived in settlement. It is small and the old town there is very nice too (but nothing as extensive nor as beautiful as Zurich's. There are several churches that are worth a visit.

If you go Munich to Chur it will take you, as Oller says, over 7 hours. Longer if you go through Zurich but breaking the journey in ZH would be sensible, I think as you can easily get from ZH to Chur the next am in about an hour and there are frequent trains.

No matter which way you go it looks as though you will have to change trains...better not have too much luggage!