We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guarda as a base for exploring Engadine?

Which St. Moritz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
reviews: 26
Guarda as a base for exploring Engadine?

Hello,

We have but 4 short nights to explore the Engadine region. Since we'll come with luggage, I was thinking of staying in the Meisser Hotel for nights 1 and 4 - leaving heavy pieces in storage for 2 nights and exploring on our own with smaller packs. For those Engadine experts, do you think this sounds like a reasonable plan - or are we taking on too much? Can you walk to nice places from Guarda in 3 days/2 nights? Or do you recommend another base?

All advice very welcome!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
1. Re: Guarda as a base for exploring Engadine?

Hi soy_latte_togo,

Well, I think it depends on what you want to do and see in the Engadin. Guarda is fairly remote, with the village up on a hill, the train station below, and a Postbus to connect the two. If you wanted to get out and see other towns, it would be time-consuming, but if you just wanted to hike locally, it would be fine.

Guarda IS a lovely place, and I keep thinking I should spend several days there . . . but I'm not sure I could stay busy for more than two or three days.

Again, selecting a base depends on where you want to go. If you want to ex;pore the Upper Engadin, good bases are Pontresina, Zuoz, Sils, etc. For the Lower Engadin, I think Scuol would work.

Have fun!

s

Washington, DC
reviews: 26
2. Re: Guarda as a base for exploring Engadine?

Thanks for your advice. Are any of the other towns easier to access by train? I.e. Pontresina, Zuoz, Sils. I've heard nice things about all of them.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
3. Re: Guarda as a base for exploring Engadine?

Hi again,

Yes, these towns have train stations. To see just how convenient they are, you can take a look at google maps to see where they're located relative to where you want to go. You can also check the train schedules at the Swiss rail site

www.rail.ch

Have fun!

s

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
reviews: 245
4. Re: Guarda as a base for exploring Engadine?

I am not sure if you are looking for day-excursions from a place you stay, either Guarda or somewhere else, or if you are looking for a multi-day hike. Please specify. Guarda is very nice, but as Swandav mentions, it is rather remote. I would choose more of a transport hub if you want daytrips and return back. Even if you are looking for a place to leave your luggage for a multi-day excursion, I would probably not choose Guarda with a lot of luggage. You could easily include Guarda in your excursion adn stay e.g. in Scuol in the lower Engadin or somewhere in the Upper Engadin for better connections.

5. Re: Guarda as a base for exploring Engadine?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 01, 2011