We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early September trip

Which St. Moritz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta,ga
reviews: 1
Early September trip

Greetings,

My wife and I are planning a return trip to Switzerland after traveling there last winter and was wondering if we would miss the high season by going in early September.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 34
1. Re: Early September trip

No you will find most things still open and running.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
2. Re: Early September trip

Hi rikatl,

I'm finding that more and more people are travellin in Sep, so it's almost getting to be almost-high season still.

Have fun!

s

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 34
3. Re: Early September trip

The thing I like about September and early October is that you don't get big crowds, a lot of schools return after the summer holidays. It is still reasonably warm after a cold crisp start to the day and with the coming of the autumn you get a variety of colours.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
4. Re: Early September trip

In the mountains, early Sept is prime climbing season so the resorts are open and in most lifts keep running until mid Sept. The bigger ones like Zermatt go on well into October.

Hotel prices are sometimes less in Sept than in July August though so it is a good time to visit! Add to that the fact that normally we have lovely weather in Sept - you will have a great time!

atlanta,ga
reviews: 1
5. Re: Early September trip

Thanks for the quick responses. We're looking forward to seeing some of the spectacular sites we saw during winter in their late summer glory.

So sounds like availability and prices shouldn't be at a premium?

Has Switzerland instituted a smoking ban in restaurants recently ? Smoking in restaurants was the only negative experience we had this past winter. Strikes me odd that such a healthy, intelligent society would tolerate such a habit.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
reviews: 245
6. Re: Early September trip

St. Moritz and the Engadin is beautiful in September, not the crowds as in August as in near Milano school starts again, and still everything open. Availability in hotels is good - sometimes it is rather booked on weekends, as a sunny autumn day attracts people from the lower parts and in September, tour groups start coming again. So if you want a special hotel, I receommend to book ahead. Prizes are lower than in August.

As for smoking, this is by cantonal law, the canton of Grison, where St. Moritz is, is smokefree (except smokers corners).

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
7. Re: Early September trip

Switzerland like the US is a Federal state. So, like the US smoking bans depend on the Canton.

The following cantons are smoke free NOW:

Ticino, Grisons, Valais, Solothun, Fribourg, Neuchâtel.

The following will be smoke free on 1 Sept:

Vaud

Geneva is having legal wrangles over non smoking and while it was non smoking for 3 months last year, smoking is now allowed but will certainly be banned sometime next year!

There are other places - cities and cantons - that are not on my list simply because I don't know about them. In those that are smoke free, some cantons allow smoking areas which have to be hermetically sealed. So if you are a non smoker, you are not bothered by those who smoke. The Federal law which is suppposed to come into effect on Jan 1 is more liberal than some of the cantons but it also establishes no smoking in closed spaces, and allows for the smoking rooms. Unfortunately it also allows small cafés (under 80 sq m) to declare themselves "smoking" BUT the cantons are free to set more stringent laws. The whole situation is typical of a Federal state, and I am sure you are familiar with this!! There is a push currently in the Federal parliament to revise the Federal law and make it stricter. In my view this will most likely happen. Meantime take your holidays in the Valais or the Grisons or one of the other non smoking cantons!! Note also that all trains, busses and boats are non smoking!

8. Re: Early September trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:34 am, January 10, 2010