We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chur to Fussen

Which Chur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary
Chur to Fussen

How difficult is it to get from Chur to Fussen in Germany to see the

Neuschwanstein Castle?

Is it possible by bus and faster than train

Thanks

Gene

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
1. Re: Chur to Fussen

Hi EDSCalgary,

Neuscwanstein Castle is on a hill above Hohenschwangau village which in turn is a 5 hour train and bus ride from Chur. I presume you will not be returning to Chur else the day trip is not advisable.

I am not aware of the entire journey being covered by Bus only,so can't comment theron.

arvind

Calgary
2. Re: Chur to Fussen

Thanks for that information

We would be staying in Fussen

The reason we were looking at bussing is that according to

google maps it it s about 2hr and 15 min drive by car

which is quite a difference to the 5 hours by train

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
3. Re: Chur to Fussen

Trust some other member can help out on that.

Have fun.

arvind

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 8
4. Re: Chur to Fussen

Hi, generally there are not busses in Switzerland anywhere there is train service so train is the only way unless you are willing to pay the often very high (ore than the rental by far) charges to drop in a different country. From Fussen you have to take a bus or taxi to Hohenschwangau to see the castles (there are two - Neuschwanstein which is a fairy tale castle and basically empty as Ludwig never finished it and Hohenschwangau which is fully furnished and was the castle of his parents and just across the way).

Hope this helps

Calgary
5. Re: Chur to Fussen

That does help But it is from the border of Switzerland to Fussen

that I am not able to tell if there is a relatively direct route to Fussen

Thanks

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 8
6. Re: Chur to Fussen

Okay. You asked how to get from Chur to Fussen and didn't mention it was from the Swiss border to Fussen that you wanted information for. So a relatively direct route on a bus, by train or what? You can get all the train timetables with connections, etc on the Swiss Rail website

www.sbb.ch/en

Just put in Chur and Fussen.

It appears you cross into Germany just north of St. Margrethen so you could look at a map, google to find a bus schedule and see what busses go from the first city in Germany if that is what you mean.

You can buy your ticket all the way at the Swiss Rail station in Chur.

If this doesn't answer your questions, please let us know and we will try again

Jundiai, SP
reviews: 3
7. Re: Chur to Fussen

Hi EDSCalgary,

I'm planning to do the same way what you ask.... a direct way from Chur to Fussen and I don't see any clear answer here.

Have you already travelled? Got any buses? Was it expensive ?

Thanks

Cesar

Calgary
8. Re: Chur to Fussen

Yes I already traveled there last summer

It worked very well

We had a Swiss pass that took us to the border and then used a Bayern ticket to get to Fussen.You need to change trains in Lindau or Bregenz if you us aBayern pass as we did. I bought that online from home

for 26 euros for 2 people for a day. You change trains because some of the trains are not covered by the Bayern ticket

As fr the castles, whifch is why we went there

We had already booked a tour time for the next AM but it was raining when we got into Fussen. We went to the castles right away. Everyone was leaving

and there was no one at the ticket counter so we asked if we could get on a tour that afternoon. The girl said yes lots of room, so we cancelled our tour for the next Am and went in the rain ( that didn't matter beacause the tours are inside). It was a good way to do the tour, we were on a small group due to the rain. The next AM we went back in the sunshine and took our pictures of the outside. The line up for the reservation counter (not the ticket counter)was about a Km long and 4 wide. We also used a Bayern pass to go to Salzburg the next day.

Edited: 11:31 am, December 20, 2012
Jundiai, SP
reviews: 3
9. Re: Chur to Fussen

Hello!

Thank you for your help. We got a ticket from DB Bahn from Chur to Fussen changing trains in Bregenz as you said.

Thanks for the tips about the castles as well!

Regards from Brazil,

Cesar and Camilla