We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soglio Stay Question

Which Canton of Graubunden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 29
Soglio Stay Question

Hello,

I have just booked airfare for our trip to Italy. As part of the trip, we will be driving from the Dolomites to Varenna (rental car drop off in Sondrio). I have read much about the natural beauty of Soglio and have scheduled one night of our trip to stay there on the way to the lakes region. However, I have also read that the streets are ridiculously narrow and that is is very, very quiet at night. My questions is, would it be best to stay right in Soglio for the night, or perhaps would it be better to stay in a nearby village that might offer more in terms of dining, shopping and hotels and just visit Soglio during the day. Any ideas, comments or suggestions would be appreciated. The TA reviews for the hotels in Sogio are just a little sparse and mixed. Thanks in advance!!!!

10 replies to this topic
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
reviews: 265
1. Re: Soglio Stay Question

Soglio as well as the whole Bregaglia valley are really remote and thus you will not find a lot more action nearby Soglio, forget totally about nightlife and shopping (except for goat cheese and exceptionally good local cosmetic products). If you must have shopping, stay in Engadin St. Moritz. If you can not be without nightlife for one night, best stay in St. Moritz itself or Pontresina. Then this depends also on the time of your journey, offseason nightlife lacks here as well, shoulder-season it exists during weekends only. This is mountain country, the outdoors etc. Social highlife is mainly during the holidays and in February with all the bars and nightclubs busy and a lot of auctions, art shows, special dinners etc.

I however can heartily recommend a night in Soglio from Spring to Autumn, just for the experience of it, the tranquility in this beautifully panoramic setting and the calm and relax. Breath in the good fresh air - in summer with the scent of fresh hay - and enjoy a sunset or sunrise far from the hectic of a city. The hotels will not have a lot of reviews as this is not a very much frequented place but they are good and the restaurants IMO are very good, especially to try to local specialities.

The streets are small and winding, you will have to give passage to the postal bus and this sometimes means you have to go backwards to let it pass, but this is a very short passage only. However most of the roads you will use in this part of the world are no large highways, but bending mountain roads, the Maloja pass even a steep one. Have a look at maps.google

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 164
2. Re: Soglio Stay Question

Hi Travelaw

The road is just windy and narrow but not ridiculous. It is an easy to drive mountain road. Why not use the bus from Chiavenna? It runs the same road.

Yes Soglio is very calm. We ate at the hotel some time ago up there and it was OK.

pore

Chicago, Illinois
3. Re: Soglio Stay Question

Thank you both for your advice and information. I think we will stay in Soglio for the night. We do love remote and beautiful places, which is why I became interested in Soglio. Coming from a big city, Soglio sounds like heaven. We certainly don't need nightlife and I'm sure we will do plenty of shopping along the way. We will be there around the 1st of July, so maybe we can enjoy some wildflowers. Given that there are few reviews, would you have any suggestions for lodging or restaurants.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 164
4. Re: Soglio Stay Question

Hi Travelaw again

Have a look at valbregaglia.ch/en/…hotels-in-soglio where all accommodation at Soglio is listed. I think it is the Solina Hotel I was once and it offers great views. If the weather fits you can eat on the scenic terrace.

pore

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
5. Re: Soglio Stay Question

Beginning of July is a beautiful time so see the wildflowers and Soglio is surrounded by green nature. If you have time for a short hike, there are some very nice paths there with scenic views and you might even find some wild orchids and lilies this time of year.

As for the hotels, it depends on what you are looking for. See bregaglia.ch/de/…hotel-in-soglio - the options offer a good choice and a great variation.

My choice would be the Palazzo Salis, buildt in 1630 as a feudal palace, with the furniture of those ancient times. I just love those traditional buildings with a history and this is really one of the best examples. You feel like the protagonist in a history film, the ambience is well conserved. And in July, the beautiful garden in the design of the epoque is just marvellous. Some of the rooms have private bathrooms, some en-suite, but not all of them. The hotel is the center of the village obviously, as the farmers hamlet has been built around it. It does not have parking facilities, you would have to leave your car at the communal parking at the entrance to the village, but they would lend you a pushcart to carry your luggage. I think if you really want tranquility and peace and contemplation, this would be the place.

If you tend more towards modern comfort, La Soglina is a newer building in a very nice location with a panoramic view and can be reached by car (they have a parking garage as far as I know). Here you would have to book half-board, but the restaurant is rather good. All rooms are with bathroom ensuite.

Also Stüa Grande is nice, just at the entrance to the village, thus not in the romantic old part. There will be a new management soon, so not a lot of information so far as how it will go on.

Then there are two B&Bs, but I dont know them, so I can't offer advise here.

As for your shopping pleasure, there is some in Soglio. See the website of the Soglio Products www.soglio-produkte.ch/stonecollection.html - they offer cosmetics on a natural basis - produced locally from local ingrediences - and their Stone Collection is just a piece of art, each container unique from local stone.

And if you like it, absolutely try the fresh goat cheese, it should be just perfect in July as the goats are grazing on the fresh herbs. And then there are all the chestnut products from the area. You will find those in the local small businesses.

Chicago, Illinois
6. Re: Soglio Stay Question

Once again, thank you pore and Engadiner for your help. Engadiner, you certainly paint a lovely picture of Soglio. Since we tend to seek out the path less traveled, I'm 100 % sure, it will be perfect for us. I had looked into the Palazzo Salis. While it looks lovely, I am slightly concerned about the parking and luggage issues. Our slightly older bones are becoming a little more concerned about these things we never gave a thought to when we were younger. But you have given us great information with which to make our choice, and I thank you for your time. If I may indulge in one final question, I looked at Michelin maps yesterday to route us from Ortisei to Soglio. One route, which uses less highways takes us through Bolzano and Merano. It is shorter in distance but takes more time. The second option which involves more highway driving takes us through Innsbruck. It is more kilometers but takes less time. Considering scenery, ease of driving and such, which route would you advise. Not sure if Innsbruck would be worth a stop for lunch, but looks like it may be doable. Again many thanks for your time!

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
7. Re: Soglio Stay Question

Sorry I can't give you much advise here, I usually do not venture too far from the lovely part of the world I live in. I have been to Innsbruck some years ago and it is very nice, but if you look for the path less traveled, it is not it. I think if you start from Ortisei, you make a huge detour going to Innsbruck and for me it would not be worth it - but this is your decision. And it would take more time to really see Innsbruck. However if you continue from Ortisei to Bozen and Meran, you drive on the Stelvio road, then up through the remote and pittoresque Mustair valley (there is the convent of St. John, an UNESCO world heritage site http://www.muestair.ch/ ) and through the beautiful (and only) Swiss National Park over the Il fuorn (Ofenpass) to Zernez, where you arrive to the Engadin valley. You then drive all along the upper part of the valley (Upper Engadin www.engadin.stmoritz.ch ), passing by St. Moritz and along the Upper Engadine lake plateau, a beautiful journey. When you reach Maloja, there is a steep drop form the high plateau, the winding Maloja pass road, down to the Bregaglia valley to Bondo, from where the road takes you up to Soglio. It's a long journey and you would have to concentrate a lot as it involves some pass roads, but traffic is less on this roads and it is through a lot of nature and beautiful landscapes. Take your time to enjoy it and do not care for short driving times and just run through it - this itinerary merits more time and a relaxed approach to it. But if you want off the beaten path, IMO it is this itinerary.

I know what you mean with the older bones - I do experience the same. But this should not discourage you from staying at the Palazzo Salis if you like such places. You could eventually leave all the things you don't need for the one night in you car (criminality is nearly non-existant in this part) and take just what you need with you. And be aware that we speak of a walk of perhaps 5-10 minutes from the parking to the hotel, the same as you would want to go in a city from the nearest parking to your accomodation, just that it goes up-hill here as you are in the mountains (down the next day however!)

Edited: 4:49 am, December 05, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
8. Re: Soglio Stay Question

Once again, Engadiner, you have come to the rescue! Your route is perfect, and much better than a quick stop in Innsbruck. Funny you should mention the Swiss national park, we are huge national park fans and they are mainly how we spend our vacations here in the U.S. I will report back after our trip! And, I forgot to mention in my last reply, we love goat cheese :) Can't wait to see your slice of paradise!

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
9. Re: Soglio Stay Question

Be aware that you never can compare our National Park with the US ones. This is not about visitors, it's more about protecting the nature and creating a refuge for the wildlife. There are very much remote parts of the park where rarely people visit. The part you are driving through is a spectacular nature, but not to compare to parks e.g. in Utah. You pay no park entrance etc. See more about the National Park here: http://www.nationalpark.ch/go/en/

You will love the fresh variant of the goat cheese - just pour some drops of good olive oil on it, some salt and freshly ground pepper and you have a memorizable delight. I could skip a dinner in a gourmet place for this.

canada
reviews: 10
10. Re: Soglio Stay Question

Hi Travelaw, it is not so much a question of old bones but old joints. The road go through many small old villages with narrow streets. I was on the postbus and notice it was within 3 inches of buildings on both sides, and when there is a car from the opposite direction, naturally the smaller car backed down, sometimes all the way out of the village. Then the Maloja Pass is a real test of your steering. These situations tests your joints of the neck and arms.

If you google Palazzo Salis, you will see a bimmer in front. The street is almost level from here towards entrance of Hotel Solina, which is quite close. But there are steps leading up to Hotel Solina itself. Anyway if you are interested in P Salis, ask them if you can drive up (by H Solina) to unload or even parking. Locals have their cars parked in the side streets.

Reply to: Soglio Stay Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Canton of Graubunden