We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary & Swiss passes help

Which Wengen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
virgina,USA
Itinerary & Swiss passes help

Hi,

I am travelling to Geneva with my wife and daughter(infant) on sep30 for 8 days trip to switzerland.

Planning to stay in wengen for 4 nights to make day trips to Interlaken – Trummelbach Falls - Jungfraujoch,Mount titlis,Lucerne & Montreux.

We would like to spend 1 day in Paris and 1 day in Zurich.

Gurus, please help with proper itinerary. Also, which swiss pass is good(economical)? Is it swiss half fare card or swiss saver pass(8days).

Please let me know if Swiss saver pass is good to travel from Geneva airport to Wengen ?

I understand that I can buy scenic routes(like jungfraugh) at 50% discount with swiss saver pass.

Thank you in advance

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
reviews: 4
1. Re: Itinerary & Swiss passes help

Not sure whether you have to get back to Geneva at the end of your trip or not but this is how I'd do it. From Geneva take the train to Montreux. You could even take the lake steamer if you're not in a hurray. Train from Montreux to Interlaken Ost and on to Wengen. Trummelbach and the Jungfrau are at your doorstep so see them when you want.

You could probably cover Lucern and Mt Titlis in one day trip from Wengen although I think I'd take a day to go there after you leave Wengen, stay in Lucern, and continue on to Zurich for the day you want to spend there. You can leave from there or if you have to get back to Geneva the trains run all the time.

I don't know how Paris get's in there.

Several of the other regular posters here are much more knowledgable in the area of rail passes than I am and I'm sure they will help you out.

Enjoy your trip.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
2. Re: Itinerary & Swiss passes help

For your itinerary, the respective 1st class / 2nd class train fares are:

Genève-Aéroport [GVA-Geneva airport] to Montreux = 52 CHF / 31 CHF

Montreux to Interlaken Ost station [Goldenpass trains via Zweisimmen] = 78 CHF / 47 CHF

Montreux to Interlaken Ost station via Lausanne and Bern = 91 CHF / 55 CHF

Round-trip from Wengen to the Jungfraujoch = 157 CHF [only one class]

Round-trip from Wengen to Trummelbach Falls and Mürren = 45.60 CHF [only one class]

Interlaken Ost station to Luzern via Bern = 88 CHF / 53 CHF

Interlaken Ost station direct to Luzern via Brünig-Hasliberg = 48 CHF / 29 CHF

Round-trip from Luzern to Engelberg = 53.60 CHF / 32.40 CHF

Round-trip from Engelberg to Titlis = 79 CHF [only one class]

Lucerne [Luzern] to Zürich Hb [Hauptbahnhof] = 37 CHF / 22 CHF

Lucerne [Luzern] to Zürich airport [ZRH Flughafen] = 43 CHF / 26 CHF

Zürich Hb to Genève-Aéroport = 268 CHF / 162 CHF

A 1-month Swiss Half Fare Card cost 99 CHF. The cost(s) of an 8-day 1st class / 2nd class Swiss Saver Flexipass are 574 CHF / 383 CHF.

While some travelers prefer the convenience of a pass, after you do the math, you will find that using the Half-Fare Card to buy p2p tickets is cheaper than a pass.

Fares around the Wengen area can be found at:

jungfraubahn.ch/en/…

Titlis information is at: http://www.titlis.ch/001tit_00_en.htm

The full adult 1st class / 2nd class fares between Zürich and Paris are 139 € / 90 €. The 1st class / 2nd class full adults fares between Paris and Geneva are 99 € / 69 €.

You should “open-jaw” you flights by arriving at GVA and departing from ZRH. Save Paris for the next trip.

virgina,USA
3. Re: Itinerary & Swiss passes help

Hi mountaintopper & Dougb328,

Thank you for the valuable information and your time.

virgina,USA
4. Re: Itinerary & Swiss passes help

Hi Doug,

I could not find proper web site for schedules and fares for P2P tickets as you mentioned earlier. Please help.

Also, we are planning to travel to Paris instead of Zurich at end of the trip.

day 1 - arraive Wengen from Geneva airport

day2,3,4 - day trips to Interlaken,Mount Titlis,Lucerne,Jungfraugh etc

day5 - travel to Paris from Wengen

day6 - Paris(stay)

day7 - back to Geneva airport

Best Regards

Basel / Switzerland
reviews: 34
5. Re: Itinerary & Swiss passes help

Dear malik va,

In my opinion the 350 mile - sidestep to Paris for just a one day's visit ( and then back to Geneva!) by train is both waste of time and money. Paris has so much to offer that you simply can't do it in one day, unless you are running through the streets like Marathon Man Dustin Hofmann. :-)

Is there a possibility to fly in to Geneva and fly out from Paris?This would at least save one day and you could see much more from Paris. If not, I would recommend to save the Paris trip for another occasion.

Enjoy

Mätzli

6. Re: Itinerary & Swiss passes help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 pm, August 24, 2009