We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing

Which Wengen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington
reviews: 4
Clothing

We are going to Lucerne, Wengen, and Venice, Italy for 3 weeks in Aug/Sept. The temperature difference between Switzerland and Italy is likely to be extreme. Is it possible for us to mail warm weather clothes to Wengen and then mail them back home at the end of our Switzerland stay?? Other suggestions?? I really want to travel with no more than a carry-on case apiece. Thanks!

bern
1. Re: Clothing

I think you completely missunderstood something. There is no "extreme" temperature diffrence between Italy and Switzerland. The only very cold place in Switzerland are the very high up mountains like at Jungfraujoch. The solution for this is layers. Bring for example a T-shirt, maybe a pullover, a warm fleece jacket and a good rain big enough that you can wear everything under it. Like that you can even spend some time outside. It's as well possible to rent the cloth, but if you work with layers you don't really need it and you are ready for any altitude.

Best is you check current weather, it won't be that different when you are there. www.meteoschweiz.admin.ch and keep in mind the Europe uses Celsius.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
2. Re: Clothing

Two years ago we went to Venice for the Regatta Storica, which is held in September. We wore exactly the same clothes that we wear here in Martigny.

Of course when we go up to the mountains, we wear/take warmer things.

It rains in venice in sept. And here. And in both places you will walk a lot. So good, waterproof shoes are not a bad idea.

Arlington
reviews: 4
3. Re: Clothing

Thanks,for your "on the ground" reports. The problem is that we will be spending most of our Switzerland time hiking in the BO. I plan to take hat and gloves. Do I need a ski jacket?? If so is mailing ski jacket, hiking boots, etc. an option? Thanks!

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
reviews: 27
4. Re: Clothing

There is no reason to bring a ski jacket. Simply bring layers as others have suggested. I'm leaving tomorrow for 16 days hiking in/around Wengen area. I'm taking t-shirts, a lightweight stretch fleece long sleeved top, a light vest, a windbreaker, and a lightweight Gore-Tex jacket with a hood. That rig will see you through anything you will encounter in August and September.

There is a Post Office right in the center of town. You can mail things to/from there.

Swiss Post

3823 Wengen

However, we have only mailed things back from there and both times the package never made it. Swiss Post is highly reliable. We believe that the packages were stolen by US Post employees once they entered the US. Both packages included new items (a Rolex watch box, box only of course! and expensive hiking pants that were intended as a gift). Perhaps if you are shipping used clothing and shoes you won't have a problem.

Another option is Luggage Free http://www.luggagefree.com. Highly reliable but very expensive. Like $250 or so each way for a medium duffle bag.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
5. Re: Clothing

If you have tee shirts, a sweater etc so you can layer, then bring a light rain-proof anorak (fits into no spaace at all and I always put one in my rucksack when I go up to the mountains, jsut in case) it will act as a windproof water proof layer on top of the other things and keep you warm enough.

Glen Mills...
reviews: 33
6. Re: Clothing

We faced the same dilemma when travelling this summer. One thing that helped immensely was renting hiking boots in Wengen. Those take up so much packing space and really weren't something we needed anywhere else on the trip. Central Sports right near the train station rents good quality boots for $15 a day. In terms of outerwear, we were comfortable even at Jungfraujoch in North Face fleeces with an Underarmour layer underneath. Layering is essential because temperatures vary even when you take the various lifts up to different elevations. I always carried a totebag that folded up very tiny in my purse so I could tote around any discarded layers. Lockers at the train & lift stations are handy for holding discarded layers as well. It's worth mentioning that our itinerary included Germany in July where we expected "summer" temperatures. When the weather was unseasonably cold and rainy, the North Faces came in handy.

7. Re: Clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 12, 2013