We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wengen as a home base for a week

Which Wengen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cfrieday1
reviews: 24
Wengen as a home base for a week

We are 6 women coming for a girls trip. Trying to pick out the perfect location for a home base for our week in October. We will be heading to Italy for the second week. We are considering Wengen but would really like some suggestions or input. We will be hiking, visiting Jungfraubahnen Region, Lucerne, doing the rails. We will not have a car so will need a train pass

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
reviews: 4
1. Re: Wengen as a home base for a week

Wengen is usually as good as you can get in the Oberland. It may be a bit quiet during October but for hiking and a good base for seeing the area it's great.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
reviews: 28
2. Re: Wengen as a home base for a week

When in October are you planning to visit Wengen? Makes a difference as many hotels, etc start closing up mid-month. That said, I agree with Mountaintopper than Wengen is as good as it gets in the BO.

cfrieday1
3. Re: Wengen as a home base for a week

Thanks for the info. We will be there Oct. 5 through 12 so we should be ok. We will be renting a chalet/home. Do you agree that is a good area for day trips to Lucerne as well. Do you know how far it is?

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
reviews: 4
4. Re: Wengen as a home base for a week

It's about three hours on the train but it's a nice scenic ride. You can check this site for schedules, etc.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
reviews: 28
5. Re: Wengen as a home base for a week

Your timing is perfect then!

Regarding a train pass and given your travel plans a Half Fare Card will likely be your best bet. You can spend hours "doing the maths" -- planning out everywhere you would like to go, using www.sbb.ch to find prices, then going to www.swisstravelsystem.com and reviewing all the various passes to figure out which is most economical. Every time I do that with a travel pattern such as yours I've found that a Half Fare Card comes out on top. So save yourself the aggravation. You can buy one (each of you will need one) at the train station at Zurich or Geneva airport (or at other main rail stations). This gets you 50% off of train, bus, boat, lifts, gondolas, etc., including the pricey trip up to Jungfraujoch.

Are you planning to rent a chalet or are you doing multiple hotel rooms? I recommend the former as it would allow you to maximize your social time together. We have rented through www.chalet-service.com 15 times and have always been very happy. Can't recommend them highly enough.

My husband and I have been to the area 15 times in the past 16 years. I have a lengthy document that includes transport tips, lodging and restaurant recos, hikes, and things to do and see in the region. If you would like a copy send me a private message with your email address; it's too long to post up on the public forum (35 + pages)

Lucerne, Switzerland
reviews: 20
6. Re: Wengen as a home base for a week

Interlaken might be a better base actually. The train up to Wengen and then further to Jungfrau is about 2.5 hours from Interlaken. The benefit of staying in Interlaken is there is more choice, from lodging to dining, which usually, but not always, translates into something more reasonable price-wise (Wengen will run about 400 chf per night for the 6 of you in a chalet apartment). You might also like to explore the opposite of the valley, Murren, and then higher up. If you stay in Wengen, then you must of course go back down the cog-wheel train and up the other side of the valley. Actually about the same as the train from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen. The train to Luzern (I live in Luzern) from Interlaken will only take 2 hours, and it is a really beautiful trip. There is also the great outdoor museum in Ballenburg - http://www.ballenberg.ch/ (short bus ride from Interlaken). Bern (a UNESCO World Heritage Site) is also a great place to spend the day, and is less than an hour by train from Interlaken. If all you want to do is hike and relax in the evenings, then Wengen is a wonderful place (actually heading there for a long weekend in June with my brother's family), but if you want to see a bit more of what Switzerland has to offer, then I think Interlaken is a more convenient base.

cfrieday1
7. Re: Wengen as a home base for a week

Thank you so much for all the help. I am really confused now. Jozek444 we do want to experience the Alps, the Vistas etc, but we are not going to just stay in a chalet and relax. We are there to see as much possible. So with that being said I would love if you could give me Insight to staying in Murren or other places I think we would like to be higher up the mtn as opposed to the valley floor. Would also like to take into consideration we would like to get to Jungfra Region, Lucerne, Possibly Lake Lugano etc. Want to see the Ice Castle, ride a cogwheel train & Gondola. Do some hiking and exploring. We want to come home exhausted! Thanks for your help.

Wrexham, United...
reviews: 7
8. Re: Wengen as a home base for a week

Wengen is a perfect base for a week's stay in that area as long as the hotel you want will be open for the duration of your stay. I suppose the only thing worth mentioning that may put you off is that if you're looking for a decent nightlife then Wengen would probably be far too quiet for you and you'd be better off considering Interlaken instead.

9. Re: Wengen as a home base for a week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:41 pm, June 19, 2013