We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to get from Paris to Murren

Which Murren hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lexington, South...
best way to get from Paris to Murren

I will be leaving from Paris and would like to spend three days in Murren. How many trains would I have to take to get there and how long will it take? We will be traveling on to Italy afterwards. We wanted to enjoy some easy hikes and cable car rides. I am hoping that a visit in Murren is the place to accomplish that.

Lucerne, Switzerland
reviews: 12
1. Re: best way to get from Paris to Murren

It will take you 6 - 7 hours altogether including time spent waiting for trains:

- Paris to Basel, 3 hours

- Basel to Interlaken, 2 hours

- Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen, 20 minutes

- Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp, 5 minutes (cable-car)

- Grütschalp to Mürren, 15 minutes

You will need a seat reservation for the Paris to Basel leg, not for any of the others.

Lexington, South...
2. Re: best way to get from Paris to Murren

Why not go from Paris to Bern or Geneva instead of Basel? They both look closer than Basel? Is the trip from Paris to Basel faster?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 26
3. Re: best way to get from Paris to Murren

Hi fallon825,

You can get the exact schedules and connections from the Swiss rail site:

www.rail.ch

Have fun as you plan!

s

Lexington, South...
4. Re: best way to get from Paris to Murren

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I think I muddled my way through getting a quote for train tickets for my family of 5 from Paris to Lauterbrunnen. According to the website, the cost is going to be 595 euros for the 5 of us. That seems fairly expensive. Is that about what I should expect? Would I be better off getting a Eurorail 3 country pass since I plan to travel through France, Switzerland and Italy?

Southport UK
5. Re: best way to get from Paris to Murren

That seems way too much unless you're travelling tomorrow.

have a look at www.seat61.com site

Also I'd suggest you book Paris to point of entry in Switzerland for instance Basle as a separate thing that way you should get the cheaper tickets. These become available 90 days before departure . Do a dummy run on the TGV's website.

Do not try and book them from Rail Europe in the USA

Then get the Swiss ticket when your arrive. The price won't change.

The general consensus on the train forum site is that Eurail pass are not worth it. Only so many pass holders can travel on any given TGV and then they have to pay a fee which could be dearer than getting a cheap ticket..

I also suggest you post your query on the Train Forum.

Gibel

New York, NY
reviews: 6
6. Re: best way to get from Paris to Murren

This IS exactly what I needed!

Thank you,

MaLu

Kent, England
7. Re: best way to get from Paris to Murren

I'll echo Gibel's suggestion. I am doing the journey next month, actually I leaving from the UK, but I have to change in Paris. So I booked Eurostar UK-Paris as two separate single journeys then Paris - Basel single, I have a Swiss Pass for my stay in Switzerland then for the return journey I booked a super saver Basel -Paris on the Swiss Rail website, that cost me 31chf approx £20. It was a simple process. It may be worth checking the Swiss Rail website for any offers on the Basel- Paris leg

8. Re: best way to get from Paris to Murren

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, July 09, 2013