We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

berner oberland

Which Murren hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winchester, Virginia
reviews: 11
berner oberland

Hi! I am looking to spend time with husband and 2 sons (11 and 14) in Berner Oberland next July. Should we base our stay in Wengen or Murren? Thank you for any suggestions.

Winchester, Virginia
11. Re: berner oberland

We have decided to base in Wengen. If we had chosen Murren, I did consider Chalet Fontana. Glad you liked it. Since you travelled with kids that age, do you have any other suggestions or recs for the area? Things to do? Restaurants?Hikes?

Thanks!!

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
reviews: 243
12. Re: berner oberland

We also took the gondola up to the Schilthorn Revolving Restaurant (not really to eat) but it is fun to do. There is an indoor swimming pool in Muerren that we did for a couple of hours. By all means visit Trummelbach Falls in the Lauterbrunnen Valley. We also took the train to Wengen and then the gondola all the way to Grindelwald...there are stops along the way where you get out and can stretch your legs. You have have to change into different gondola cars and you end up in a tiny little 4-seater on the last leg of the journey. Prepared food (restaurant) is expensive so if you can do a little grocery/snack shopping in any COOP or MIGROS you will find the price of food and such to be about the same as in the states. Don't know why it gets jacked up 500% once it gets to the restaurant. Definitely visit Gimmelwald which is halfway up the mountain between the Lauterbrunnen Valley and Muerren. It's a sleepy little village with lots of cows, goats, chickens and cats! You can rent fishing gear from the little market and go fishing in a nearby stream. Since you're not staying in Murren you could take the Funicular from Lauterbrunnen to Muerren, walk down the paved path to Gimmelwald and catch the Gondola from there down to Stechelberg. The Post Bus will take you from there to Lauterbrunnen in about 10 minutes and you also pass Trummelbach Falls during this bus trip...so you could jump off and see the falls if you wanted.

I just think the Lauterbrunnen Valley and surrounding little villages are the best places to visit I've ever seen. Life is simple and the scenery is spectacular!

Winchester, Virginia
13. Re: berner oberland

Thanks!!

Vancouver, BC
reviews: 81
14. Re: berner oberland

I'm going to be the curmudgeon here, but if you've taken the train up to the Jungfrau, had your photo with the Saint Bernards, seen the ice sculptures, etc. I'm not sure you'll need the full-on tourist assault at the Schilthorn as well (the James Bond angle is a bit much). I'd like to put in a plug for hiking -- it's a much better way to see the scenery than going to a revolving restaurant. The hikes are better on the Muerren side, but there's still plenty on the Wengen side that an 11- and 14-year-old could handle. The way to really experience Switzerland -- like the Swiss do -- is to take a half-day hike. Outside Muerren, there's a nice hike up to the Rotstock Hut, where you can have lunch in a mountain hut, then hike back down.

Winchester, Virginia
15. Re: berner oberland

Hi! Thanks offthebeatenpath, all opinions are welcome! We would love to do some hiking (even if we do decide to do the James Bond "thing" :-) ). Are there hiking guidebooks?ask the hotel? find on our own? Our boys are pretty sturdy hikers; I'd love to pack a picnic lunch and go for a hike, but I'm concerned I won't know where to go or how to gauge distances/time? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 13
16. Re: berner oberland

It's 24 years since I spent a month in Switzerland, and did lots of hiking. At the time I was there, the hiking tracks were really well signposted, and gave approximate 'times' of how long the hike would take. I found this really helpful, as I knew what I was getting myself into. I travelled alone at the time, and never got lost or felt unsure of where I was. Don't know what it is like now, but I presume the same or better. I was stayed at Iselwald on the shores of Lake Brienz, and each day took a train somewhere into the mountains and hiked on the hiking tracks in the Bernese Oberland area, as well as a few trips further afield. Can't wait to get back there this June! Have been dreaming about returning for 24 years!