We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basel to Murren... what would you do?

Ottawa, Ontario
reviews: 21
Basel to Murren... what would you do?

We'll be travelling from Basel to Murren in July with three children ages 5, 7 and 10. We will sleep three nights in Murren. I know we could travel direct to Murren from Basel but I'd like to make a stop along the way, arriving in Murren around 16:00 to 17:00.

The original thought was to go Basel-Thun. Explore the castle, Take the boat from Thun to Interlaken and then travel directly to Murren. I've done a bit of research though and I'm not sure that Thun is the best place to stop.

Two alternatives are:

Basel-Interlaken. Store luggage there. Ferry to Brienz. Explore the town. Return by train (this was in the plan for day 3 of our trip but I thought it might be too much to do both Lake Thun and Lake Brienz and I thought doing Brienz on our arrival day might save us from having to come off the mountains for the trip, allowing us more time to wander and explore up higher instead.

Basel-Spiez. Wander the town. I've heard its beautiful. Then train to Interlaken and then Murren.

Which of the three would you recommend?

Thank you!

Frankfurt, Germany
reviews: 17
1. Re: Basel to Murren... what would you do?

I would go for the second option. Going Basel to Murren you anyway have to change at Interlaken, so you could use the stopover for doing the trip to Brienz. I have done boat trips on both Thun and Brienz lakes and found the Brienz lake boat trip more scenic and beautiful. It still boils down to personal preference though. If you want to be at Murren by 17:00 you have to reach Interlaken in the morning to comfortably do this trip..

Ottawa, Ontario
reviews: 21
2. Re: Basel to Murren... what would you do?

Thank you. The plan is to leave Basel at 8am. That should have us in Interlaken by 10:00, or 1030 if we miss the 8am train.

Frankfurt, Germany
reviews: 17
3. Re: Basel to Murren... what would you do?

Looks good then.. you could take the 11:07 paddle steamer (which has a play cabin for children as well) from Interlaken reaching Brienz at 12:20, leaving you a few hours to roam the town have lunch before catching the train back to Interlaken (which by the way gives stunning lake views if its sunny). You cant set this plan in stone however as you have to account for weather - its possible its fair weather only on your arrival day in the mountains, in which case you have to flip the plan around and catch some mountain explorations during the arrival day, and come back down to Interlaken and the lakes if weather turns bad in the next days..

4. Re: Basel to Murren... what would you do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 24, 2014