We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discounts for Jungfraujoch trains

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
Discounts for Jungfraujoch trains

The Jungfraubahn's fare policy is somewhat "byzantine" to say the least... and has been the subject of much debate on these Forums. This morning (after much trying yseterday!) I managed to get a real live person in their office on the phone and asked her several questions to which I think I got correct answers...

1. Swiss Pass, Swiss FLEXI Pass being used that day as a Swiss Pass and Swiss Flexi Pass being used that day as a Half Fare Card:-

25% discount from Kleine Scheidegg to the Jungfraujoch Cost per person, round trip, is 90frs.

2. Half Fare Card (whether One Month Tourist HFC OR normal Swiss HFC):-

50% discount. Total fare from Lauterbrunnen to the Jungfraujoch 88.10frs

3. Day ticket (Tageskarte or Carte Journalière) bought in conjunction with a normal HFC:-

50% discount from Wengen to the Jungfraujoch and back to Wengen

I am not at all clear why some discounts begin at Kleine Scheidegg and others at Wengen. But that is what I was told, so I have to accept it. So to sum up:

Normal (one month, year etc) HFC Lauterbrunnen to Jungfraujoch 88.10frs

Day ticket (71frs*not included) with HFC Lauterbrunnen to Jungfr. 88.10frs

Swiss Pass, Flexi Pass Wengen to Jungfraujoch 94.50frs

or Flexi as HFC Laut. to Jungfraujoch 129.60frs

*Day tickets for use from early morning, 2nd class = 71frs

Day tickets for use from 0900 onwards 2nd class = 58frs

Day tickets early morning 1st class = 121frs

Day tickets from 0900 on 1st class = 96frs

You can also buy "multipacks" of Day Tickets which reduces the cost a little.

Hope this is some help in finding one's way through the jungle! And one more thing... on the Jungfraubahn Lauterbrunnen to the Jungfraujoch there is no 1st class!!

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
reviews: 28
21. Re: Discounts for Jungfraujoch trains

Capital One offers a VISA card for US residents that has no foreign transaction fees. That's what I use for all international charges.

Berkeley
22. Re: Discounts for Jungfraujoch trains

I tried to obtain a package for 3 nights/5mountains on the "www.jungfrau.ch/--" website using a Visa/Capital One credit card issued by my U.S. bank. I was required to complete the personal data for the credit card, however, there was no selection for the United States in the listing of all countries. Initially we thought this was an oversight, but when we called the Jungfrau customer service, they told us they are not accepting U.S. issued credit cards due to "legal issues."

Apparently this is a recent problem that will affect all U.S. credit card users who try to obtain discount tickets on the "www.jungfrau.ch/--" website. Does anyone know what the specific legal issues are and how can it be corrected?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
23. Re: Discounts for Jungfraujoch trains

You will have to ask the Jungfraubahn that question! They have a really good customer service department and are very responsive. The number to call is on their website.

BTW this is a problem I encounter quite often - in reverse! When I want to buy something from a US site it is quite often not possible since their address field does not accept anything but an address from a US state or a Canadian province... I don't know why! (And I have both a US credit card and of course Swiss ones...)

24. Re: Discounts for Jungfraujoch trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 06, 2014