We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling on May 9th with a 11 year old kid

Pune
reviews: 2
Traveling on May 9th with a 11 year old kid

Hey

Any special tips for me and my son for clothing , shoes, medication etc. Do we need to wear thermal clothes, water proof shoes , etc.

What if it sunberable cold - how do we go about it ?

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
reviews: 28
1. Re: Traveling on May 9th with a 11 year old kid

Where are you going?

If atop Jungfraujoch, you should take several layers of clothes (such as T-shirt+sweatshirt+sweater), a windproof jacket with a hood or a hat, and gloves. If you intend to spend some time walking on the snow outside on the glacier you will need shoes/boots with good lugs in the soles. If just to go outside and scoop up some snow, your regular walking shoes will be fine for a few steps.

Unless you or your son have a medical condition there is no need to take any medication. If either of you do have a medical condition you need to check with your doctor before making the trip up. Here is a link to advice: jungfrau.ch/en/…

If it is "unbearable cold" to you, simply don't go outside up top.

Pune
2. Re: Traveling on May 9th with a 11 year old kid

Hey Thanks for the prompt response. This will really help.

Pune
3. Re: Traveling on May 9th with a 11 year old kid

Could I rent boots and coat there itself ?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
4. Re: Traveling on May 9th with a 11 year old kid

The temperatures are going to vary from around 10C at night on the plain to a high of around 20-25C in the day on the plain. In the mountains it all depends on your altitude... the top of the Jungfraujoch is at 3450m and itis likely in May to be close to 0 there. But when there is sunshine, surprisingly, it feels quite warm. And the cold is usually dry in the mountains...

It rains all year round and when it is cold, it snows in the mountains.

In regard to being about to rent boots and a warm coat (anorak) - I know you can in Zermatt at the sports stores but have never investigated this in the Jungfrau area.

Pune
5. Re: Traveling on May 9th with a 11 year old kid

Hey Thanks. Appreciate your time & quick response.

6. Re: Traveling on May 9th with a 11 year old kid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, June 18, 2013