We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Pass vs Regional Pass

Which Interlaken hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Marlton, New Jersey
reviews: 509
Swiss Pass vs Regional Pass

I am confused about the differences between the Passes. We are coming from Innsbruck to Interlaken. Is that part of the Swiss Pass since we are traveling into Switzerland or do we buy the ticket separately? I also understand that I buy the train ticket from Venice to Salzburg on the obb site so is that part of the Swiss Pass too? We are going from Innsbruck to Interlaken, seeing Jungfrau and Shilthorn while in Wengen, then taking going to Ballenberg from Interlaken, probably by boat, then Ballenberg to Lucerne, and then Lucerne to Zurich to fly home. So should I be buying the Swiss Pass or the Regional Pass? I just need a one week pass. Also, I think I can only buy tickets 90 days ahead of time. Am I right? Do I buy the Pass and then make reservations? Is that how it works? Thank you.

Phoenix, Arizona
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
1. Re: Swiss Pass vs Regional Pass

Hi angeleyes27,

We've moved this topic to the Interlaken forum, because it should be more likely to receive some replies here. We hope you find the information you're looking for.

Best regards,

TA_MikeW

Marlton, New Jersey
2. Re: Swiss Pass vs Regional Pass

Thank you very much!

noosa
reviews: 40
3. Re: Swiss Pass vs Regional Pass

Great question. We are doing the same in reverse from Wengen to Innsbruck. I looked up a saver pass for this train one way is 59 Swiss Franks, no changes allowed. I am currently trying to figure out whether we are better off with a 3 or 4 country PASS or just paying individually. It is soooo time consuming, looking at all different options.

Karachi, Pakistan
4. Re: Swiss Pass vs Regional Pass

Hi, I am planning to visit Interlaken and Lucerne with my wife and 2 kids (5 and 11).

If anybody can guide me which pass is more economical (1/2 pass, swiss or regional pass) for a family trip. We want to go to Jungfrau and mount titles etc.

Marlton, New Jersey
5. Re: Swiss Pass vs Regional Pass

Thank you for moving it. It seems that other people would like to know as well.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 45
6. Re: Swiss Pass vs Regional Pass

The quick answer is that for most short visits to Switzerland that include a Jungfraujoch trip,ma Half Fare Card will be your best option. That is because it gives you a full 50% off that expensive trip. Mthe savings on that alone almost pay for the card.

Amerchant75, if any of your children are under 16 you may request a free FamilynCard with thepassof Half Fare Card, and the children will travel with you for free.

You do not need seat reservations for travel within Switzerland, but you do for the trains that cross the border. Mfor travel between Innsbruck and Interlaken, the best option is to buy a SpecialmOffer ticket well in advance onnSBB.ch. this is the 59 CHf ticket that SchatzieNoosa mentioned. It is non refundable and non changeable, but a very good price. Seat reservation is included in the cost of the ticket.

noosa
7. Re: Swiss Pass vs Regional Pass

Thank you Enzian! I will book that 59 CHF ticket now.

If anybody needs recommendation for a great and cheap unit in Lauterbrunnen let me know,. We have been there many times.

Also be aware staying in Wengen is very expensive. Double what you pay in Lauterbrunnen. There are great hikes from Lauterbrunnen. Up to Wengen, Muerren and Gimmelwald. If too hard take train or cable car up and walk down.

I am getting so excited about our upcoming Europe trip. Thanks to TA nothing should go wrong!!

Boston...
8. Re: Swiss Pass vs Regional Pass

schatzieNoosa,

We are planning to stay in Lauterbrunnen for 2 days in June .., can you pl tell me where to stay .. The more economical one??

noosa
9. Re: Swiss Pass vs Regional Pass

We always stay at the Graf Family Apartments right in Lauterbrunnen.

http://www.anton-graf.ch/index.php?id=119&L=1

The have 2 lovely, clean, fully self contained apartments walking distance to local bakery, butcher and supermarket. Around CHF 70 a night including Kur tax.

If they are booked out, try BERNERHAUS for about the same price, but a bit further out of town centre.

The train from Zuerich airport takes about 3 hours to get there. Once in Lauterbrunnen you don't need a car. Spend the days hiking. It is Paradise!

noosa
10. Re: Swiss Pass vs Regional Pass

Enzian is there also a Special offer prepaid ticket to get from Zurich airport to Lauterbrunnen? All I can find is CHF 39. Which is a lot for that little distance, if you compare with only CHF 59 from Lauterbrunnen all the way to Innsbruck/ Austria. Thanks for the hint "no seat reservation neccessary within Switzerland". You saved me CHF 40! Thanks!!!