We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family celebration

Which Interlaken hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Morpeth, United...
reviews: 2
Family celebration

My parents are celebrating their Golden Wedding in August 2013 and have booked a holiday for the whole family (16 people) in Interlaken. I would like to arrange a surprise meal for us all in a nice restaurant and would like some advice as to where to book. We will not have cars, but will have rail passes so we are not limited to Interlaken.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
1. Re: Family celebration

Can you re-think Interlaken?? It really is not the most wonderful place in this country. A memorable stay would be somewhere in the mountains... Wengen, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen or at a lakeside resort - Brienz, Spiez, Thun etc. Interlaken was (perhaps) a great place for the Victorians but has outgrown its lustre,

The Belevdere Hotel in Spiez is lovely and has a graet restaurant. And I am sure would be a good place for a family group of diverse ages.

Congratulations to your parents on their Golden wedding. is that 50 years? if so, mine is 2 years off!!

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
reviews: 4
2. Re: Family celebration

Following up on what Hambagahle said I too would recommend a stay away from Interlaken. My choice would be Wengen. I would stay at the Hotel Schoenegg. It would work great for your big dinner even if you don't stay there. The restaraunt is one of the best and the scenery is great in every direction.

http://www.hotel-schoenegg.ch/

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
3. Re: Family celebration

Just looked at thelink provided by mountaintopper above -- and see that the Schonegg is part of the Romantik hotels group. I stayed in one of their hotels in Sils in October and it was absolutely fabulous. If the Schonegg is anywhere near that standard then this is an excellent choice!

Morpeth, United...
reviews: 2
4. Re: Family celebration

Thanks for your replies. Interlaken is already booked - the accommodation is a gift to us all from my parents who just love any excuse to get the whole family together. The Schoenegg and the Belvedere both look like good suggestions so I will look at booking a table at one of them. I have to say that when I inter-railed in 1985, Spiez was my favourite place in the whole of Europe (beating the Accropolis, the leaning tower, the vatican and Pompeii to name but a few!) so I would nostagically love to celebrate there.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
5. Re: Family celebration

Spiez is, as I am sure you remember, really close to Interlaken. So you will have a chance to visit there. Recently I discovered the little villages on the northern side of lake Thun. If you liked Spiez a while back you will most likely enjoy them too... so take a lake cruise and "hop on, hop off" not only at Spiez but also at Hünibach. Hilterfingen and Oberhofen on the north shore. I really loved Oberhofen especially...

Your parents sound very special! Lucky you!

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 164
6. Re: Family celebration

As the hotels seem to be booked, all the above place or hotel suggestions do not make a lot of sence.

pore

Cheshire
reviews: 37
7. Re: Family celebration

"As the hotels seem to be booked, all the above place or hotel suggestions do not make a lot of sence."

Hi Pore I think the above suggestions are for the surprise meal and other trips whilst based in Interlaken.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
8. Re: Family celebration

Exactly - day trips from Interlaken...

9. Re: Family celebration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, December 17, 2013