We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice/Milan to Interlaken in Winter by car

Which Interlaken hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Beachmere, Australia
reviews: 45
Venice/Milan to Interlaken in Winter by car

Hi

We are traveling by car in winter (end of January) and I am trying to find the quickest route from Venice/Milan to Interlaken. When I try map searches on maps.google.com etc, it shows that many of the mountain roads are closed in winter....but doesn't give me any options on how to get through!

So can anybody who knows the area please advise a route from Milan to Interlaken which will be open in winter to cars.

Thanks kindly,

Jackie

Zurich, Switzerland
11. Re: Venice/Milan to Interlaken in Winter by car

btw: ">= 5 minutes" means, as SBB claims on its website, you have to be there at least 5 minutes before departure.

Beachmere, Australia
reviews: 45
12. Re: Venice/Milan to Interlaken in Winter by car

From the sbb website and tourism switzerland (very helpful people) I can clarify for others interested in these routes....

Martin you are right, the Iselle-Kandersteg connection stops in October, so that option is out for winter travel.

And the Iselle - Brig train runs only every 2 hours, so a bit of a bummer if you just miss it! Coming from Italy I would not like to prebook as you never know what traffic might be like along the way and might end up missing it anyway.

Thanks Mube, if you can drive through Simplon Pass in winter, that may be fun too!

Good to know there'll be tunnels wherever we are going! I realise most people are not excited by tunnels, especially if there are so many in your area, but seriously, they are very exciting for people who never use them - especially children. :)

13. Re: Venice/Milan to Interlaken in Winter by car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:45 am, July 15, 2013