We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interlaken Flooding Pics

Which Interlaken hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
Interlaken Flooding Pics

Pictures are posted by the Jungfraubahn at: jungfraubahn.ch/images_div/bob_hochwasser/

They are taken from a helicopter going from Interlaken Ost then east around the airport, past Wilderswil and up the valleys to Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen.

UAE
1. Re: Interlaken Flooding Pics

Oh no this is really disappointing!!! My husband & i were looking forward to this trip to Interlaken & Zurich. However after the flooding am not too sure things will get back to normal in 2 weeks time (thats when we will be there ).

Wish someone would advise us if the weather improves by the 2nd week of SEP will things get better in INterlaken.

Switzerland is an expensive trip hence i dont want to be disappointed if the floods have washed out everything.

New Jersey, USA
2. Re: Interlaken Flooding Pics

I have made plans to stay 3 nights in Lauterbrunnen from Sep 6 - Sep 9th.

Could someone please suggest whether I need to make alternate plans .

Thanks

Zurich, Switzerland
reviews: 9
3. Re: Interlaken Flooding Pics

Temperatures will be rising to over 25°C from next week on..............The Swiss are probably the most efficient workers. If the weather holds, provisional bridges and roads should be up by then, so you can still enjoy your holidays. Interlaken should be back to normal in the next few days, the townI nterlaken has'nt been really effected. Work as usual!! Basicly Interlaken-Ost, Bönigen,...............thats where the River Lütschinen flows into the Lake of Brienz!!

St. Augustine, FL
reviews: 1
4. Re: Interlaken Flooding Pics

Any word on the Hotel DuLac? If the Ost train station is affected, I would imagine the DuLac is as well...

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 3
5. Re: Interlaken Flooding Pics

Hi Wetday,

in Graubünden, only the Lower Engadine has been hit. Bernina route is open. Glacier Express route is not affected as well. No flooding in Western Switzerland. And why don't you spend more time in Zürich - it is a beautiful city on a lake - as well? we have only some swollen rivers and flooded basements, but no serious damage here (miraculously).

Because, as it looks, many mountain villages in Central Switzerland or in Berner Oberland won't be accessible within the next week. In many cases the roads and rail connections will have to be built completely anew. It will be made, but it takes time!

UAE
6. Re: Interlaken Flooding Pics

Hopefully things will improve in the next few days in Interlaken. Thanks Riter for some brighter news today. Shall wait to see if things do get better before cancelling my plans to Switzerland.-----Megan

New Jersey, USA
7. Re: Interlaken Flooding Pics

Thanks altamiro,

I will see how the situation is next week. And if it still looks like Berner Oberland is wet, I will alter my plans.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
reviews: 243
8. Re: Interlaken Flooding Pics

What a pity to miss the Bernese Oberland...one of the most beautiful areas in all of Europe (in my opinion).

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
9. Re: Interlaken Flooding Pics

To “wetday” and others:

Upon review of the pictures, the worst rail and road damage is from Wilderswil towards Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen. It will, most likely take several weeks to repair the RR and several months to replace road bridges. The eastern side of Interlaken appears most impacted by the flooding and the situation should improve quickly as the water recedes. After all those who were stranded have departed, Interlaken should be fine by the first of next week.

The BOB Bernese Oberland Railway will have buses provide reduced service on the Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen and Interlaken to Grindelwald routes. Rail traffic beyond those areas will resume once power is restored. The major problem will be capacity and crowding because 2 buses/hour cannot replace 2 trains/hour. Bottom line is that you will be able to get to Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen and beyond but not easily. Those planning on travel to Kleine Scheidegg, Jungfraujoch, Wengen, Mürren, and Schilthorn should plan accordingly.

Current information concerning is at the Jungfraubahn website. jungfraubahn.ch/en/…