We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jungfrau vs Jungfraujoch

Which Grindelwald hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 7
Jungfrau vs Jungfraujoch

Hello

Excuse my limited knowledge, but I am really confused with these 2 names. What is Jungfrau and what is Jungfraujoch. I know one is Top of Europe.

Thank you

BostaTourist.

London, UK
reviews: 57
1. Re: Jungfrau vs Jungfraujoch

Jungfrau is a 4,158 mtr mountain. Jungfraujoch is a train station 698 mtrs below the peak. Still pretty high!

Boston...
2. Re: Jungfrau vs Jungfraujoch

Thank you!

How do we travel from Jungfraujoch to Jungfrau ?

Lucerne, Switzerland
3. Re: Jungfrau vs Jungfraujoch

By climbing and with ropes, and some further gears.

Why not look at a map?! Google, Wikipedia ... etc.

Jungfraujoch is a saddle between the two peaks Monch and Jungfrau.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 40
4. Re: Jungfrau vs Jungfraujoch

Climb!

The railway goes to Jungfraujoch which is small plateau ideal for accomodating a railway station, hotel and observatory.

I said climb in jest. You should not attempt this unless you are an experienced mountaineer!

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
5. Re: Jungfrau vs Jungfraujoch

Hi BostaTourist,

Jungfrau is a peak in the Bernese Alps - 4158 metres above sea-level. Jungfraujoch ( 3471 m ) is the col - lowest point on the ridge between Jungfraujoch and Moench peaks,and is also called " Top of Europe ".

I understand it is a 4/5 hour climb from Jungfraujoch area ( Moenchjoch huts to the summit.

arvind

Edited: 10:10 am, January 22, 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
6. Re: Jungfrau vs Jungfraujoch

BTW: The train was supposed to reach the peak of the Jungfrau, but it was never finished. The last section from Jungfraujoch to Jungfrau would have been very challenging, as you would have hardly space on the peak for the station ect.

Lucerne, Switzerland
reviews: 12
7. Re: Jungfrau vs Jungfraujoch

<What is Jungfrau and what is Jungfraujoch. I know one is Top of Europe.>

Neither of them is really the top of Europe, that's just a marketing thing because Jungfraujoch is the highest railway station in Europe. There are plenty of higher places, although not many of them are reachable by public transport :-)

The "joch" bit of the Jungfraujoch word is very common in Switzerland, and means a pass or a saddle between two mountains. Same origin as the English word yoke, maybe because of its shape?

Boston...
8. Re: Jungfrau vs Jungfraujoch

Thank you Everyone. Now I am educated about the various aspects about Jungfrau'joch' :) I appreciate the help.

9. Re: Jungfrau vs Jungfraujoch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 24, 2014