We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1/2 day in Grindelwald area

Which Grindelwald hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
reviews: 8
1/2 day in Grindelwald area

Hi I have booked our hotel in Grindelwald for 3 nights in June 2011, we arrive from Bern approximately 11 am. I want to make the most of my time here, My question is what to do on this first day in Grindelwald, Where to go exactly? Any easy walks? Will I have time to say go to Wengen by cablecar?

I do want to see the mountain villages and/or an easy walk if time permits.

We will do Jungfrau day train trip the following day?

Many thanks in advance

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
reviews: 4
1. Re: 1/2 day in Grindelwald area

You should have enough time to take the gondola from Grindelwald up to First and walk up to the Bachalpsee and back. If your're staying Grindelwald it's one of the must see places and it can be done in an afternoon. Great views and easy walking.

sydney
reviews: 8
2. Re: 1/2 day in Grindelwald area

thank you so much, you have been very helpful

UK
reviews: 55
3. Re: 1/2 day in Grindelwald area

I suppose it depends on what the weather is like! If it's good you can go to the top of the First and walk to Bachalpsee (about 50 min one way from the top of the First). Or you could catch the train to Grund (5 mins), and from there the cable car to the top of the Mannlichen - from there it's an easy hour's walk with stunning views and lots of alpine flowers to Kleine Scheidegg, from where you can catch the train back down to Grindelwald. Or if you prefer you can get the cable car from the Mannlichen down the other side of the mountain into Wengen - from here you can reverse your route to get home, or I'd recommend taking the train via Kleine Scheidegg for more stunning views.

Alternatively, if the weather's not good you could go to the impressive Trummelbach Falls in the Lauterbrunnen Valley - take the train back to Zweilutschinen, catch a connecting train to Lauterbrunnen, and from the station the Postbus goes to the Trummelbach Falls (takes a few minutes). Or if you want something closer to Grindelwald, then the gorge is worth a visit and is about half an hour's walk from the village.

Hope this helps!

Dubai
4. Re: 1/2 day in Grindelwald area

I would recommend that you do the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg hike which offers the best views.

5. Re: 1/2 day in Grindelwald area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 23, 2012