We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to grindelwald

Which Grindelwald hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
driving to grindelwald

hi

driving around bernese oberland early november,will i need snow tyres , as it is an option with car rental.i will be mainly driving around grindelwald and murren areas.

many thanks andy

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 20
11. Re: driving to grindelwald

it is funny, but the best weather and time in grindelwald I had always in the first two weeks of November.

the loud crowds were away, not everything was open but then it did not have to be.

and it was always sunshine and blue skies.

as for the winter tyres: every land has it's own rules and laws. (Strange the EU bureaucrats have not noticed that?)

in switzerland there is no law that says that you must have winter tyres from October or November or whenever; the geography is so varied that it must be impossible i guess.

It is entirely up to you and your common sense.

HOWEVER if you cause an accident because you had the wrong kind of tyres, then you are responsible and pay for it.

the police stops people that have not changed their tyres when they should have, only because they hate cleaning up accidents.

rule of thump is 7 Celsius and then snow/ice conditions.

the rental company will know if you should have them (tell them where you intend to drive)and if you are still unsure then ask for them.

tak

London
reviews: 4
12. Re: driving to grindelwald

We drove to Grindelwald from London in April for skiing and we did not use snow chains for more details about our trip see my blog. benstravels.com/2009/05/grindelwald-wengen-s…

thanks ben

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
13. Re: driving to grindelwald

By april the surface of the roads has warmed up and even if it snows one rarely needs chains. In Verbier at 1500m this was certainly true. It is late Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb and early march that you need them most as ice forms easily, and then the snow on top of it gets slippery!! 4 wheel drive with snow tires is really the best thing to have in winter in the mountains. Then you do not need chains!

14. Re: driving to grindelwald

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 13, 2010