We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is March too early for Grindelwald?

Which Grindelwald hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stoke on Trent...
reviews: 2
Is March too early for Grindelwald?

Hello! We are thinking of visiting Switzerland in March or April 2006 for a driving holiday; can anyone share their experience of Grindelwald at this time of year? I'm wondering if it would be misty and we wouldn't get the benefit of the wonderful scenery (as happened to us this year in Norway!).

Also, are the facilities (cable cars, etc) available all year round, or is there an off-season when some things don't operate?

Thank you, Trip Advisor buddies!

Middle England
reviews: 66
1. Re: Is March too early for Grindelwald?

March is still ski season in Grindelwald. It's likely that the lower slopes in the village will be wearing thin, but the whole area should still be open for skiing. As you get into April the snow repidly melts at lower level, but there is generally some skiing until after Easter.

I've been there a few times in March / April - there can be heavy snow falls at this time, you can expect some beautiful sunny days as well. You may often get days where Grindelwald is in the cloud and misty, but Kleine Scheidegg is above the cloud and sunny.

All transport will be operating except Pfinstegg cable car, and will be fairly full if the snow is good. There's limited walking due to the snow, but there will be a number of signposted walks, also toboganning. Jungfraujoch will be open, also Schilthorn. Off season round here is late April and May - after skiing and before summer, and then again in late September to mid December.

England
reviews: 48
2. Re: Is March too early for Grindelwald?

Agree with previous poster.

Don't hesitate over March or April but I would say March would be better for catching the late Winter scenery.

The recent floods have affected things but I got a local update recently and they are hoping to have everything 100% before December 2005.

Stoke on Trent...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Is March too early for Grindelwald?

Thanks, both, for your advice! More is always welcome...