We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grindelwald or klosters

Which Grindelwald hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
norfolk, england
reviews: 11
grindelwald or klosters

Hello,

We are planning a ski trip at the half term February. Have two options Grindelwald and Klosters. Torn between the two but fancy Grindelwald for the scenery I hear about. However some websites reoprt long queues for getting up the mountain (1-2 hours!)if so, this will spoil our short break which is really intended for skiing. Is this right? We would like to go to the Sunstar. Thanks

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 26
1. Re: grindelwald or klosters

Hi norfolk3,

Yes, I love the skiing from Grindelwald, especially around the "First" cable car station.

I don't remember any such horrible lines as you describe -- but I was there about 10 years ago (have been skiing from Wengen since).

You may be able to avoid the lines by joining a ski class, which I always do anyway (I think the ski instructor takes students to the best snow for the day and gives good information about linking the ski areas). The instructors don't want you wasting your ski time waiting on the lifts and do generally get you up quickly. I think the longest I waited at the First cable car at the beginning of the day was about 10 minutes. There may even be a separate line for ski classes & groups.

Good luck!

s

norfolk, england
reviews: 11
2. Re: grindelwald or klosters

thank you for your information. I think we will risk it althuogh should be busy school half term. If anyone has any more hints/suggestions, please don't hesitate! By the way, has anyone been to both Grindelwald and Klosters for a direct comparison?

Zurich, Switzerland
reviews: 7
3. Re: grindelwald or klosters

If you stay in Grindelwald you have all the options....

First (Grindelwald)

Mannlichen (from Grindelwald-Grund)

Kleine Scheidegg (from Grindelwald or Wengen)

or ski all the way round to Wengen take the cablecar to Männlichen and ski down to Grindelwald...or one day First, the next day Scheidegg (Grindelwald / Wengen) you got all the choices.

4. Re: grindelwald or klosters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, September 18, 2009