We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for 2 days in Wengen???

Which Bernese Oberland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Macomb, Michigan
reviews: 3
Itinerary for 2 days in Wengen???

We are traveling from Paris to Wengen in the end of June, staying for 2 nights in Wengen, and then onto Italy.

I know that the weather could change our plans, but should our itinerary be this?:

1---Leave from Paris to arrive at Basel SBB. (Use "Fast Luggage" to send luggage onto Wengen station.)

2---Go directly to Schilthorn, Murren, Trummelbach Falls, and Lauterbrunnen. Go to Wengen train station to pick up our bags and stay at our Wengen hotel overnight.

3---Spend next day going from Wengen to Kleine Schidegg, Jungfrau, Grindelwald. Back to Wengen for one more night.

Any opinions on this itinerary would be very greatly appreciated!

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 10
1. Re: Itinerary for 2 days in Wengen???

You got it all figured out already.

Its perfect.

Only some small suggestions from my side if you like.

When you return from Schilthorn to Stechelberg, dont take the bus to trummelbach.

from stechelberg go left of the river, there is a very nice walk from there to Trummelbach with proper directions and signs along the river. It is very beautiful and serene and only takes may be half hour.

second day also, on your return from Jungfraujoch, stop and Kliene Schiedegg and walk to Mannlichen and then you can take a cable car down to Grindelwald from there. 1 hour walk may be (real easy)

Both thse walks were highlights of our trip.

MAy be if you wana give it a try

Just a suggestion.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
reviews: 30
2. Re: Itinerary for 2 days in Wengen???

I beg to differ.

>1---Leave from Paris to arrive at Basel SBB. (Use "Fast Luggage" to send luggage onto Wengen station.)

2---Go directly to Schilthorn, Murren, Trummelbach Falls, and Lauterbrunnen.<

This is a quite difficult schedule . Have you consulted www.sbb.ch to determine the travel times? Paris to Lauterbrunnen (where you connect to transport to Schilthorn, etc), depending on which Paris train station you depart from, is 6 - 9 hours of travel time alone.

Further, you should only go up any of the peaks (such as Schilthorn or Jungfraujoch) if the weather is clear, otherwise you spend lots of money and time and see nothing. The best weather is usually in the mornings. Clear afternoon ascents are relatively rare. Coming from Paris and attempting to get up the Schilthorn in the same day really doesn't work, let alone all the other stops you are thinking of.

Your day one itinerary with the short walk that Er_Hardeep suggests would be a nice two day itinerary.

On your planned second day itinerary, Er_Hardeep's suggestion to take the lift down from Männlichen to Grindelwald is excellent, it is very scenic. But depending on your fitness level the walk from Kleine Scheidegg to Männlichen will take at least two hours as this is the uphill direction. Again, only do the Jungfraujoch ascent if you have a clear day and do it first thing in the morning.

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 10
3. Re: Itinerary for 2 days in Wengen???

Sorry I am new at this...

U r absolutely right ....

Thanks for the corrections.....

Macomb, Michigan
reviews: 3
4. Re: Itinerary for 2 days in Wengen???

I have consulted sbb.ch and we plan to leave Paris Gard de Lyon (6:21 hours with 3 stops). As I stated above, I know we need to be flexible with weather and our plans may change. Yes, it would be in our discretion whether to do the Mannlichen-Kleine Scheidegg hike and I've read about the downhill direction. I've read another forum where someone went to Schilthorn after arriving by train the same day. I know it's the ideal situation to go up in the morning as this is when the weather is more likely to be clear. My main objective is to obtain some loose idea of how to separate our excursions into a logical sequence of order.

I really appreciate the input and will remain flexible depending on many factors (weather, travel time, time available to do extra hikes, our ability to do hikes.)

5. Re: Itinerary for 2 days in Wengen???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 16, 2014