We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Rhine Falls Advice needed

Which Schaffhausen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dombivli...
reviews: 3
Trip to Rhine Falls Advice needed

Hello!!

We me and my wife are planning trip to Rhine fall

1) Is it ok to go there on Sunday (Holiday) or saturday will be advisable Which is more suitable 09 or 10th March 2013?

2) After reaching Schaffhausen station at 10 am ,how to proceed? Some people advise Neuhausen by bus no 1 and walk along river, others say go to Schloss Laufen which has better tourist center(how to reach there?). I am confused, Will somebody make the things easy for me . We have full day at our disposal and need to leave at 5pm.

Thanks a lot in advance

Lucerne, Switzerland
reviews: 11
1. Re: Trip to Rhine Falls Advice needed

Get the train from Zürich to Schaffhausen. Walk down to the river through the old town, then along the riverbank to the falls (takes about an hour, completely flat, very easy). Cross the river on the railway bridge just above the falls to Schloss Laufen, then go down to the viewing platforms below the castle to see the falls close up. Then get the train back from Schloss Laufen to Zürich via Winterthur.

Dombivli...
2. Re: Trip to Rhine Falls Advice needed

Thanks a lot neucht, now I have a clear direction

My other query is If we go there on Sunday (a holiday)will there be any problem. We don`t need to purchase anything apart from meals and coffee . Thanks again

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
3. Re: Trip to Rhine Falls Advice needed

Trains, buses etc will run on Sunday. I would suggest getting a train to Schloss Laufen because an hours walk, even if flat, also means an hour back...which you might not want. Also it might be cloudy and cold....or raining.

Many restaurants will be open on Sunday. No shops will...not outside of stations. Rhine falls will keep on falling, and my goodness, they are beautiful!

I hope you enjoy them... I love them!

Dombivli...
4. Re: Trip to Rhine Falls Advice needed

Thanks a lot

Dombivli...
5. Re: Trip to Rhine Falls Advice needed

How about, if we go walking one way and then return back by train. It will serve purpose having a beautiful walk and comfort too

Edited: 1:11 am, March 07, 2013
Dombivli...
6. Re: Trip to Rhine Falls Advice needed

just now read that in winter this station is closed, Are these trains stopping at Schloss Lausen now?

Dombivli...
7. Re: Trip to Rhine Falls Advice needed

Thanks for your very useful advice Neuch and Hambagahle. We visited Rheine Fall yesterday ( Saturday ).We went along the banks of Rheine from Schaffhausen and enjoyed the beautiful walk so much so that we returned the same path back to Schaffhausen. Fall is awesome.We were inclined to see it from Schloss Laufen only, but reading Hambahle`s opinion in some other writing, we decided to see it from Schlossli worth too. We were very happy, It was peaceful picturque location though little far away from fall and gave good photo opportunities.It gave complete view of fall From Schloss laufen story was entirely different.Power of gushing water flow with roaring sound was amazing. It gave us beautiful video recording opportunities. we were so close to fall almost a part of it,simply wonderful.Thanks again

Singapore
reviews: 2
8. Re: Trip to Rhine Falls Advice needed

Dear all, I read your informative thread with great interest and will like to ask more details. I will be reaching Zurich airport early morning 6am on Thur, May 23rd. I intend to travel straight to Schaffhausen from ZRH to see the beautiful town and Rhine falls before catching the train from Schaffhausen to Munich on the same day.

I have the following questions

1) From Zurich airport do I have to go to Zurich HB before i catch the train to Schaffhausen? If so, do I need to pre-book these two tickets?

2) Can I walk from Schaffhausen to Schloss Laufen but take a train back to Schaffhausen to catch my train out to Munich?

3) It seems that there is no direct train from Schaffhausen to Munich, so where will I transfer trains in-between? I used Sbb.ch but the website always crashes when I try to expand details on the trip that starts at 15:42 (from Schaffhausen) requiring 1 transfer using IRE and ICE trains. I am worried that I cannot make this train booking since I don't have details of what time and where the train transfer takes place. Can anyone advise on this?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
9. Re: Trip to Rhine Falls Advice needed

You do not and should not go to the Zürich main station (HB) from the airport if you are going to the Rhine Falls... go straight from the airport to either Schloss Laufen or Schaffhausen. Schaffhausen would be easiest since you can leave your luggage in a locker at the station there.

I checked the connection from Schaffhausen to Munich that you mention and the site didn't crash. The connection is via Ulm. Leave Schaffhausen at 1542, arrive Ulm 1743 on train 3359. Leave Ulm on ICE 599 at 1809 and arrive Munich at 1927.

Singapore
reviews: 2
10. Re: Trip to Rhine Falls Advice needed

Dear Hambagahle, thank you for your prompt reply.

I will look out for the direct train from airport to Schaffhausen =)

As for the train from Schaffhausen to Munich, sbb.ch kept crashing on me so I bought the exact same ticket you described on bahn.de, since both offers the same super saver rate!

Thank you for your kind advice!