We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Pass or not

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Swiss Pass or not

Hi there,

My husband and I are staying in lucerne for 4 days and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it for us to buy a Swiss Pass. We will be going up mt pilatus, perhaps mt rigi and perhaps a trip to Zurich. I'm unclear if it will be worth it price wise. I'm unsure from the website how much of the ticket in mt pilatus would be covered.

Any advice is appreciated.

5 replies to this topic
canada
reviews: 10
1. Re: Swiss Pass or not

You do not need a Swiss Pass to move around Lucerne, a small city.

How do you land in Lucerne anyway? And exit? The whole itinerary?

See www.pilatus.ch

Read cost of transport schedules and costs on www.sbb.ch, do the math based on your complete itineray, and compare with Tell Pass www.tellpass.ch

Ottawa, Canada
2. Re: Swiss Pass or not

I'm sorry I find the pricing on the website very confusing, I'm not sure where it starts and ends. Would you be able to help me break it down? We are arriving at lucerne from Germany and unfortunately I booked our train tickets before finding out about the Swiss pass . So we will just be using it for travel within Switzerland to mt pilatus, rigi and possibly Zurich. Any help on understanding the pricing would be great. Thank you!

Easton, Pennsylvania
reviews: 36
3. Re: Swiss Pass or not

Hi,

Go on Sbb.ch

Figure out the price of the tickets you want to buy

Lucerne – AlpnachstadPilatus KulmKriens – Lucerne

(boat 2nd-class) CHF 97.20 half fare 49.80

see: www.pilatus.ch/en/railway-cableways/prices/

Then do Rigi. rigi.ch/Travel-information/Prices/Individual…

rigi.ch/Travel-information/Prices/Individual…

Go on the Sbb.ch website and figure out the cost of the additional train fares. For example Lucerne to Zurich and back if you are making a day trip. Again, remember that the prices that pop up initially are the default prices which are the Half fare prices. Do get the full amount double the price.

I do not think that you will likely benefit from a Swiss pass pass. Depending on what else you are doing...if you went to Titlus...then you might benefit from a half-fare card. This costs 120sf and entitles you to a 50 percent discount on trains, ferries and Lifts.

I am not sure you are there long enought to benefit from this card. If it rains one day, and you can't do one of the moutains, the card would likely be beneficial to you. Do not try and see these mountains if the weather is poor. You will have waisted your money.

Hope this helps

Singapore, Singapore
4. Re: Swiss Pass or not

Hi, I'm doing a similar route as crob1234. I'll be arriving from Paris into Basel and then Basel to Lucerne. Staying 4 days in Lucerne. Going to attempt to do Mt Rigi, Mt Pilatus and probably day trip to Zermatt if the weather permits. I have done a comparison between 4-day Swiss pass and HFC. From the initial calculations, if we managed to do both mountains and the day trip, the Swiss pass is definitely more economical. However, there is still a possibility of bad weather and the Swiss pass might not be worth it afterall. I am having troubles deciding which to go for.

I have also considered a possibility of tell pass. Does it include my journey from Basel to Lucerne and Lucerne to Zermatt? Appreciate any advice as I'm still unsure after visiting the tell pass website.

Edited: 4:48 am, May 24, 2014
Easton, Pennsylvania
reviews: 36
5. Re: Swiss Pass or not

Crob 1234,

First let me urge you to reconsider making a day trip to Zermatt. I love Zermatt it is defintely a site worth seeing! However it is over a 3 hour trip one way from Lucerne. So you would be on the train for a total of at least 6.5 hours in one day. Weather changes quickly in the Alps..and Zermatt is no exception! You could travel all the way to Zermatt and by the time you arrive, it could be cloudy or raining!

Given you time frame, I would recommend that you stay in Lucerne if you are only going to be in Switzerland for four days. there are more than enough excusions in your area. Your chances of being able to go to Titlus increase since you remain in that area.

If you attempted the Zermatt trip, then your trip might warrant a swiss pass or flexi pass of some type. However, if someone remains in one region like Lucerne the Train tickets might not be so expensive that a pass is sometimes the best option.

The Half-fare card would reduce the price of the short train rides in half, but also allow a 50 percent reduction on all the lifts and that is often why folks by a half fare card (120sf) in a particular region is beneficial. The individual lifts are so expensive that once you begin adding up the cost of a few of them...it is often economical to get a HFC. We always urge everyone to do the math, because each case is unique. Only you know in the end what excursions you will do. So definitely do the math. And remember the initial fare listed on the Sbb.ch website is the default fare, the half fare you could get with a half fare card. To get the full fare, double the price. Hope this helps.

Reply to: Swiss Pass or not
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted