We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Pass tour

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 3
Golden Pass tour

I will be in Lucerne for 3 nights in early September and am thinking about doing the Golden Pass tour one day. We have Mt. Pilatus tour one day, exploring Lucerne one day and wondering if this would be a good use of our last day?

I've found a few websites for the tour but wondering if someone can walk me through what exactly the tour is and what tickets I would need - what website to book from? Someone suggested Lucerne - Montreaux so I would just need to do round trip for that?

Just a bit lost right now. Thank you

5 replies to this topic
Lucerne, Switzerland
reviews: 12
1. Re: Golden Pass tour

It isn't a "tour" as such, it's just a (very scenic) train line.

Just go to the ticket office at Luzern station and tell them that you want to go to Montreux via the Golden Pass line, and come back via the more direct route. They will give you the tickets you need. There is no need to reserve seats.

The trains run every hour - it's a normal rail service used equally by tourists and local people on their way to and from work.

Be aware though that if you do the whole Golden Pass line, it will take 5 hours to get from Luzern to Montreux, then another 3 hours back to Luzern by the direct route. You could shorten this by just going from Luzern to Interlaken on the GP route, then back either the same way or via Bern.

Edited: 1:23 pm, May 14, 2014
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 164
2. Re: Golden Pass tour

Hi klc948

I am not sure if I understood your question correctly, as I understand you would like to do the golden roundtrip over Mt. Pilatus which does nothing have to do with the golden line trains.

Look at the Top Questions about Lucerne (upper right side of your actual screen) and you will find the information needed.

If this is what you would like there is a disappointment. The cable car from Fraeckmuendegg to the top of Mt. Pilatus will not be operating u from September 1st (new cable car under construction). You can go up to Pilatus Kulm from Alpnachstad and back the same way or you can go to Fraeckmunedegg from Kriens and return the same way.

Instead I would recommend a roundtrip over Mt. Rigi or over the Brienzer Rothorn which both offer wonderful views.

pore

Houston, Texas
reviews: 3
3. Re: Golden Pass tour

Sorry, I don't think I was very clear with my use of "golden" .

I will actually do the Golden Roundtrip with Mt. Pilatus on it's last day of operation (August 31st).

Then I plan to do a tour (independently) of a few towns around Lucerne using the Golden Pass train line. I did not realize this was not an actual tour, but just a scenic train that locals/tourists use.

My thought now is to take the train from Lucerne to Interlaken and explore the town (is it worth seeing? I've read so many mixed reviews) then taking a train or bus to Speiz then onto Thun, then return to Lucerne. Does that sound like a good plan? I really want to visit scenic and beautiful towns outside of Lucerne - they don't have to be old towns with a lot of history, this part of the trip is really for the beauty of Switzerland.

Any other cities/towns nearby that fit the bill please let me know!

Lucerne, Switzerland
reviews: 12
4. Re: Golden Pass tour

Yes, that will make a nice day out - but I would skip Interlaken, unless you are a fan of tacky souvenirs and fast food. Spiez and Thun are much prettier.

You will pass through Bern on the way back - definitely worth hopping off the train and spending a couple of hours there.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 164
5. Re: Golden Pass tour

Hi klc948

Yes, the point of views about Interlaken are very mixed. It is a place I sometimes visit for a nice lunch on my roundtrips I do by car and which are not all possible by public transport. Fact is, that it is not a spectacular place except the view of the Jungfrau massif from the center.

An other option would be to visit the Ballenberg open air museum - www.ballenberg.ch - at Brienz (the woodcarving capital) or to go with the Brienzer Rothhorn roundtrip (see Top Questions about Lucerne) which is very scenic and passes Brienz.

Have a great time

pore

Reply to: Golden Pass tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted