We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local tour operators for day trips to Jungfaujoch, Titlus et

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
reviews: 70
Local tour operators for day trips to Jungfaujoch, Titlus et

Hi

We'll be staying in Lucerne for about a week in mid September. We found some separate day trips on viator etc that can take us to Jungfraujoch, Mt Pilatus and Mt Titlis.

E.g. viator.com/tours/…d576-2460JUNG_L

viator.com/tours/…d576-3885SW304BSL

Given the changeable nature up in the mountains, we were wondering if its possible to book similar day tours to these mountains when we get to Lucerne. Are there local tour operators that can take us to these mountains? Any websites we can go to? Any idea what the costs of getting these tours when we are there compared to the tours from viator are?

Thanks for any help.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 3
1. Re: Local tour operators for day trips to Jungfaujoch, Titlus et

Why would you need any tour operators? You just look up the weather, head to the station, buy a ticket and go.

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
reviews: 2
2. Re: Local tour operators for day trips to Jungfaujoch, Titlus et

If you need any more help just go the the Lucerne Tourist office which is located at the station.

Services 105.

sbb.ch/content/…plan-luzern-a4.pdf

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 224
3. Re: Local tour operators for day trips to Jungfaujoch, Titlus et

Hi LizaNTrevor

You can find on the Top Questions about Lucerne the reasons why a tour to Jungfraujoch is not recommended from Lucerne. You can verify on www.sbb.ch/en (timetables and all other information about public transport in Switzerland) how much time you would spend in trains.

Tour operators are not needed for the mountain excursions around Lucerne. Go on your own and enjoy your own pace. especially go for mountain excursions when the weather is good. It would be a pity to spend a lot of money if you do not have any sights because the tops are in the fog. You can see weather pictures on the first program of Swiss TV in the early morning or ask your hotel staff for help.

pore

Fife, Scotland
reviews: 47
4. Re: Local tour operators for day trips to Jungfaujoch, Titlus et

Some web sites for you

www.pilatus.ch/en/

www.titlis.ch/en/activities/summer-activities

www.rigi.ch/Home-en

Check out Swiss passes/cards here www.swisstravelsystem.co.uk/index.php…

Melbourne
reviews: 70
5. Re: Local tour operators for day trips to Jungfaujoch, Titlus et

Hi

The reason we ask, is we're traveling with a six year old and we wanted the lazy approach and get someone to to take us there rather than having to worry about changing trains etc.

Something the article doesn't suggest is where we should start our trip to Jungfraujoch from as it's not advisable to go there from Lucerne? Would we need to stay overnight and then make our way up the next day?

We're not sure whether it would be worthwhile for us to get a swiss pass or which pass would be appropriate. Our itinerary is:

1. Day 1 - Arrive in Zurich

2. Day 2 - train it to Lucerne

3. Day 3 - Mt Titlis

4. Day 4 - Mt Pilatus

5. Day 5 - Jungfraujoch

6. Day 6 - Lucerne

7. Day 7 - Lucerne to Zurich

We're open to doing it ourselves as it seems that is the consensus here. So given the above rough itinerary can you suggest an appropriate swiss pass if we were to do it ourselves rather than day tours? We're a family of 2 adults and a 6 year old.

Thank you.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 132
6. Re: Local tour operators for day trips to Jungfaujoch, Titlus et

I don't see why a 6 yr old wouldn't like changing trains - my 6yr old granddaughter loves changing trains! But Pore is right. Luzern to the Jungfraujoch and back in a day is not a good idea and especially not with a 6yr old!

You would need to be in the Oberland. Suggest that you consider splitting your stay beween Luzern and Brienz or even Lauterbrunnen...

As for the pass you would need to do the maths. 6 yr old will travel free with you if you have a Swiss pass or Flexi pass - you get a Family card for free. But neither pass will get you to Mt Titlis or the Jungfraujoch - for both you need to pay a supplement. For the pass see www.sbb.ch/en

I would think that with a 6yr old the last thing you want is to be cooped up in a bus for hours Trains are hugely better since your child can move about - and many of our intercity trains have a "Family car" - listed as FA on the timetable - with a space for children to play.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 54
7. Re: Local tour operators for day trips to Jungfaujoch, Titlus et

LizaNTrevor, the other posters are right, you really don't need a tour. We were there last month and did day trips to Titlis (absolutely fantastic) and to Mt Rigi. Admittedly we had no young children, but it was all so easy to do, and much cheaper than doing a tour.

We spent a while doing the sums and for us the Tell Pass worked out the best. We used one of the free days to go to Rigi and the other to Titlis. We did have to pay 32 Euros each for the cable cars to Titlis. Rigi was totally free. Obviously your situation might be different, but it is worth spending the time working it out.

Paris, Canada
8. Re: Local tour operators for day trips to Jungfaujoch, Titlus et

I would like to go to Mt Titlis on our own, not using a tour, but am a little worried about whether I can manage to get us there. I am travelling with my two teens (14+16) on a bus tour. We are on a bus tour through Europe as I was too nervous to do it all on my own on our first time in Europe. Our bus tour offers a trip to Mt. Titlis for 75.00 euros with 8.00 euros to take the flyer I think. I imagine we could do this much cheaper on our own????? Any advice would be appreciated.

Paris, Canada
9. Re: Local tour operators for day trips to Jungfaujoch, Titlus et

I would like to go to Mt Titlis on our own, not using a tour, but am a little worried about whether I can manage to get us there. I am travelling with my two teens (14+16) on a bus tour. We are on a bus tour through Europe as I was too nervous to do it all on my own on our first time in Europe. Our bus tour offers a trip to Mt. Titlis for 75.00 euros with 8.00 euros to take the flyer I think. I imagine we could do this much cheaper on our own????? Any advice would be appreciated.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 132
10. Re: Local tour operators for day trips to Jungfaujoch, Titlus et

Where are you starting from? €75 is about 90+frs. A day ticket on the train (second class) from Luzern to Engelberg is 17.40 (half fare for those under 16). Then the round trip fare for the cable cars from Engelberg to Titlis is 89frs. So it looks to me that your bus tour is cheaper or very close... undoubtedly they get a group discount which you would not. However your 15yr old travels at half fare... do they give him or her a reduction?

The ice flyer is 12frs/person and that is more than €8...

You can get all train info and fares on www.sbb.ch/en and info on Titlis tickets at www.titlis.ch