We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Pass in April

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
reviews: 4
Golden Pass in April

I will be travelling to Zurich in April and would like to travel in Golden pass line. I will be having a Swiss pass. Request your answer on following questions.

1. I do not intend to do the entire journey from Lucerne-interlaken-Zweisimmen-Montreux. Kindly confirm which 1 or 2 sections of the journey are best in terms of scenic beauty from 2nd class carriages?

2. Is reservation mandatory for any section of the journey?

14 replies to this topic
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 164
1. Re: Golden Pass in April

Hi rasputinczar

1. The entire goldenpass line - www.goldenpass.ch - is very scenic. While the part from Lucerne to Interlaken (the Bruenig railway) is in fact just an annex to the goldenpass line the main part is from Zweisimmen to Montreux.

2. There are regular trains on the line which do not require any reservation. If you would like to drive with the Panoramic Express from Zweisimmen to Montreux you would need a reservation.

For timetables see www.sbb.ch/en

Have fun

pore

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
2. Re: Golden Pass in April

Hi rasputinczar,

A slight modification - reservations are not mandatory in 2nd Class.

Have fun.

arvind

New Delhi, India
3. Re: Golden Pass in April

So, is reservation not mandatory even on Zweisimmen-Montreux section in 2nd class? can I simple board the train with my swiss pass?

New Delhi, India
4. Re: Golden Pass in April

So, is reservation not mandatory even on Zweisimmen-Montreux section in 2nd class? can I simple board the train with my swiss pass?

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
5. Re: Golden Pass in April

Yes.

Middle England
reviews: 66
6. Re: Golden Pass in April

Yes, and recommended. Without a reservation you are free to choose where you will sit, you are free to move around.

Lucerne, Switzerland
reviews: 12
7. Re: Golden Pass in April

Even in first class, reservation is not mandatory. Only the VIP seats at the front of certain trains MUST be reserved.

New Delhi, India
8. Re: Golden Pass in April

Thank you Everyone.

Nokomis, Florida
9. Re: Golden Pass in April

Can someone let me know how long the journey from Lucerne to Montreux takes on this line. We want to take a day trip out of Lucerne, but not sure if there is enough time to go all the way to Montreux and back to our hotel in Lucerne in one day and have any time to see things along the way.

Lucerne, Switzerland
reviews: 12
10. Re: Golden Pass in April

It takes just over 5 hours each way.

For full details, on sbb.ch/en, enter:

- To: Montreux

- Via: Meiringen, Zweisimmen, Gstaad (you will need to use the advanced search option to enter multiple "Via" points).

Edited: 3:11 pm, January 23, 2014
Reply to: Golden Pass in April
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted