We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt. Pilatus on the day you arrive in Lucerne?

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
reviews: 20
Mt. Pilatus on the day you arrive in Lucerne?

We will be arriving in Zurich from the US by 8;30 am, and will directly go to Lucerne where we will stay for 2 or 3 nites. We arrive on a sunny day, and would like to take advantage of the weather. Is it possible to do the roundtrip to Mt. Pilatus on the same day, presuming we can start the trip around 12 noon or shortly after?

Canada
reviews: 42
1. Re: Mt. Pilatus on the day you arrive in Lucerne?

How do you know that you are arriving on a sunny day?

Middle England
reviews: 64
2. Re: Mt. Pilatus on the day you arrive in Lucerne?

If you check the timetable you can work it out. Only you can know whether it's too much for you . Some people like to rush everywhere in which case it's probably fairly practical, some people like to go slowly, watch the scenery, enjoy the mountains and scenery in which case it's probably too rushed.

Question really is why Pilatus? Personally I hated it, it was rush punctuated by long queues from start to finish and we allowed a full day from Interlaken.

dallas
reviews: 7
3. Re: Mt. Pilatus on the day you arrive in Lucerne?

plus pilatus is best done in the am when you have a better chance of a better view..............i wouldn't do same day but I also disagree with the above post - we absolutely loved it on our last visit and intend to go again this time - at latest 9am

Middle England
reviews: 64
4. Re: Mt. Pilatus on the day you arrive in Lucerne?

Sorry, you are disagreeing that I hated it? It was a rush from start to finish, give or take the 2 hours in the queue to get down and the 1 hour queue for the toboggan and the 30 minute queue to get up. Between these was a short queue for the loo, a long queue for a drink and fabulously no queue at all for the cable car to the top after the toboggan. We're both saying the same thing though, wouldn't recommend Pilatus if you land in Zurich at 8:30.

Aurora, Ohio
reviews: 136
5. Re: Mt. Pilatus on the day you arrive in Lucerne?

As some others posted, it's possible to go up Pilatus on the day you arrive if it is sunny. I also agree that that you have a better chance of great views if you go up earlier. With that said, keep in mind that you need to know when the last transport descends the mountain. I purchased my ticket at the Tourist Information center in the train station. They made very sure that I realized the last gondolas would descend at 5:30 pm.

I arrived early my first day, also. I walked a bit through the old city and around the lake and took a boat out on the lake.

Do what is most important to you on the trip.

dallas
reviews: 7
6. Re: Mt. Pilatus on the day you arrive in Lucerne?

sorry all I was saying was we loved mt pitlatus the last time - we went in the summer so it was busy and the gift shop I recall a bit crazed................but I guess that is part of it - I do not recall long queues for the cog train up or the gondolas back though - we are going to do the same this year though which is have a driver take us to the cog wheel on the one side and then pick us up a few hours later on the other...............it made it possible for a half day trip

we don't need the cruise element really because we have a boat charter the day prior :)

but yes I agree we are saying the same thing - personally I would just explore Luzern that first afternoon - between the old town and walking the promenade there is plenty to do/see..............that way you can be more assured of a good visit

and I am by no means an expert but I think if it is sunny out it could still be cloudy over mt pilatus - I remember many strongly recommending the am visit last time which is what we intend to do again

have a great trip - Luzern is awesome!

Edited: 6:31 pm, July 02, 2013
Houston, Texas
7. Re: Mt. Pilatus on the day you arrive in Lucerne?

We arrived in Zurich from the US at 8:30 AM - took us 1-2 hrs getting the luggage out, going to the train stations, buying swiss pass, using the rest room, and getting some coffee. The train ride to Lucerne from Zurich Airport is one hour. By the time you walk from Lucerne station to your hotel it will be another 30 mins.

Unless you decide to not shower and eat you may be ready to lave for Pilatus at 12 noon. Also, have your checked your hotel if they will let you check-in early? We arrived around noon and we could not check in and had to wait few hours which we used to walk around the wooden bridge and have lunch.

Quite frankly, use your first day to catch-up on Old Town Lucerne, Wooden Bridge, and walk to the Lions monument. Just rest and relax and be ready to leave for Pilatus as early as possible the next day.

Houston, Texas
8. Re: Mt. Pilatus on the day you arrive in Lucerne?

Since you are in Lucerne only for a 2-3 days, I suggest you do Rigi as well. It will also take care of your cruise Lake Lucerne from your check list!

9. Re: Mt. Pilatus on the day you arrive in Lucerne?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 10, 2014