We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for getting the best out of the GoldenPass Line

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dungannon, Northern...
reviews: 1
Tips for getting the best out of the GoldenPass Line

On Monday 2nd September I will be travelling with my wife the GoldenPass Classic line from Montreux to Lucerne where we will lodge for the night.

We will be travelling with an Interrail Global Pass. Do we need to make reservations for any of the train journeys and if so is there an extra charge?

Overall what is the best side to sit on in each of the trains?

If we depart Montreux on the 08.44 classic train have you any tips where we should break our journey for a nice walk and a good meal before arriving in Lucerne at 17.30?

What is the weather like at the beginning of September in the Alps? Will we be Ok in shorts and T-shirt or should we bring a sweater?

And finally any ideas what we should do in Lucerne that evening before we leave the next morning on the William Tell Express?

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 223
1. Re: Tips for getting the best out of the GoldenPass Line

Hi gerracher

The goldenpass line includes three parts and you will need to change due of technical issues.

1) Montreux - Gstaad - Zweisimmen (narrow gauge train)

This is the main line of the goldenpass. In my opinion it does not matter where you will sit. For the Panoramic train seat reservations would be needed on a separate little cost. For normal trains which run the same track there is no reservation needed and you can hop on and of the train as often as you like.

2) Zweisimmen - Interlaken Ost

This is a normal gauge train. You just take any train, no reservation needed.

3) Intelaken Ost - Lucerne

The Bruenig railway is a narrow gauge train again. It goes along lake Brienz (sit right side if you can) and from Meiringen (where it looks like the train would go back) via the Bruenig pass to Lucerne. You would sit automatically on the left side which is great for the views on the way to Lucerne.

As I am not a prophet I can not give you any weather forecast for September now. Nobody will be able to do so. Look at www.meteoswiss.admin.ch/web/en.html (the longest forecast is for seven days. Normally September is a beautiful time with nice temperatures during the day and somewhat cooler ones in the evenings.

Lucerne

Look at www.luzern.com and the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) for Lucerne activities.

It is a pity that you do not have more time for the Lucerne area.

pore

Bern, Switzerland
reviews: 79
2. Re: Tips for getting the best out of the GoldenPass Line

I would get off the train in Spiez, walk down to the lake and board a lake steamer to Interlaken. From there you can continue towards Lucerne. You can have a meal in Spiez on the ship or in Interlaken.

London, United...
3. Re: Tips for getting the best out of the GoldenPass Line

Hi Riehen, this sounds like a great tip. I was thinking of taking GoldenPass line from Zweisimmen to Interlaken. And then getting off at Interlaken and doing a boat ride, before heading off to Lauterbrunnen for 3 days/nights/ But if I get off at Spiez and take lake steamer to Interlaken, I will save time.

Do you know how can I make a booking on the lake steamer?

Also, somebody said Lake Brienz is better than Lake Thun. Do you agree? Or is there really not much difference?

Thanks!

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 44
4. Re: Tips for getting the best out of the GoldenPass Line

You do not have to make a booking for the lake boats. With an interail ticket you can buy the fare with a 50% discount.

Lake Thun is longer and broader then lake Brienz which is more enclosed.

5. Re: Tips for getting the best out of the GoldenPass Line

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 22, 2014