We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Willian Tell route

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 6
Willian Tell route

I realize one can do the William Tell route on their own utilizing regular trains and boats.....my question is - is it doable to go to Fluelen and take the train to Bellinzona and return in one day? I'm guessing it will be a long day but we are heading onto Italy and it sounds like the scenery on this route is spectacular.

I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of doing this as we will arrive in Luzern around noon after a transatlantic flight for 3 nights last week of August. I would also like to travel to Mt. Rigi and Stanserhorn .

Are my eyes bigger than we have time for?

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
reviews: 2
1. Re: Willian Tell route

If you are ' heading onto Italy' from Lucerne to Milan then you can travel via Bellinzona so there would be little point in making a return trip to see the scenery. If you want to visit Flüelen then take a paddle steamer from Lucerne returning either by boat or train.

Texas
2. Re: Willian Tell route

OOPs! Sorry ....just re-read my post - we are Not heading into Italy...we are staying in Luzern for 3 nights and then heading to BO.....my bad:)

My question had more to do with taking the train after Fluelen and go through the tunnels and then back again...everything I've read makes the scenery sound like it should not be missed but I'm not sure if a RT to do this route is worth the time if I am just doing RT to Luzern.

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
reviews: 2
3. Re: Willian Tell route

Unless you particularly wish to visit Ticino I would spend the short time you have in and around Lucerne and its beautiful lake.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 164
4. Re: Willian Tell route

Hi nalismom

As you want to do Mt. Rigi and Stanserhorn with only three nights, there will be no more time left to do this long trip to Bellinzona. Both mountain excursions are day trips which let you time at the end to visit the old town of Lucerne for example. I would go with the two mountains, they are both great. For more information look at www.luzern.com and the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum).

pore

Texas
5. Re: Willian Tell route

Thanks Pore and Swissaholic! I think I was getting to that decision......Stanserhorn looks like an amazing day as does Mt. Rigi. Is there a way to incorporate the boat trip to Fluelen with the Mt. Rigi day if we choose not to spend the entire day at Mt. Rigi?

Texas
6. Re: Willian Tell route

Forgot to add ....if we can incorporate boat to or from Fluelen with Mt. Rigi for a full day trip..which would you recommend doing first? I've read that the scenery on the trip back from Fluelen by boat is beautiful.

Our trip is last week of August so I assume we will have extended daylight hours and I am staying positive about weather:)

Thanks again

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 164
7. Re: Willian Tell route

Hi nalismom

If you do the Mt. Rigi roundtrip as recommenden on the Top Questions about Lucerne, there will be a cruise from Vitznau to Lucerne or vice versa.

It is definitively possible to take the boat to Flueelen - see www.lakelucerne.ch - if you start the roundtrip early enough via Arth-Goldau. Is it recommended? I would spend enough time on Top of the mountain and walk a part down to Rigi-Kaltbad and enjoy the great day there. Lucerne - Flueelen is a 3 hours cruise.

On your way back from the Stanserhorn, you should not miss to walk around Stans. On your way back you could hopp off the train at Stansstad and take the boat to Lucerne. It would also be possible to stay in the train until Hergiswil and to visit the Glass factory and museum - www.glasi.ch - there before you go back by boat or train.

pore

Texas
8. Re: Willian Tell route

Thanks pore!

9. Re: Willian Tell route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 09, 2014