We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in Lucerne region

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Antwerp
reviews: 1
where to stay in Lucerne region

Hi all

I am planning a week trip to switzerland during christmas time. As this will be my first trip trip to this country, i want to base myself at a central place so that i can do day trips from there to interlaken, mount titlis and other sights of switzerland.

From the forum I understood that lucerne area is the best place to base as its centrally located and not very far from major sights. can some one advise me if i could rent an apartment in a small scenic village near Lucerne so that its not very expensive as well as not very far from the major sights. We are a group of 2 couples with two kids (6 and 4 yrs old). We will rent a car so transport will not be a problem.

Thanks

Vikash

London, United...
reviews: 25
1. Re: where to stay in Lucerne region

We just returned last week from Weggis which is a lovely village outside Lucerne. We stayed at Alpenblick hotel and I understand some people rent out apartments in this building. When travelling by car it used to take us 20/25 minutes to reach Lucerne. We also took the Tell Pass for Train & steamer boat journeys to go to Titlis, Pilatus..kids go free. We had a supermarket across the hotel - so it was perfect.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
reviews: 237
2. Re: where to stay in Lucerne region

Weggis is a beautiful lakeside village, although it may not be the best central destination for daytrips. It definitely is a good place to stay if you want to visit Lucerne, Pilatus or other places located on Lake Lucerne.

Antwerp
3. Re: where to stay in Lucerne region

Thanks Samraj. Do you have the weblink of this hotel. We would like to rent an apartment as its a family of 6. I searched on net but could not find info on apartment linked to this hotel.

Antwerp
4. Re: where to stay in Lucerne region

I want to make day trips to mount titlis , interlaken and lucerne. You can suggest other areas which may be interesting from scenic view point of view. dont want to visit towns or cities.

London, United...
reviews: 25
5. Re: where to stay in Lucerne region

Belgian Fan,

Although I've not used, check the attached websites - they've all mentioned Alpenblick and lot of others as well which maybe more suitable. We went off to both Titlis & Pilatus, both different & fantastic, Transport museum, Lucerne for a day. Another day we just drove off via Gothard Tunnel and ended up in 'Faido' a very small trekking village - very Italian, breathtaking views whilst you drive along the lake. Great experience to see the Italian part of Switzerland as well!

sologstrand.com/holiday-homes/…weggis.htm

switzerland-hiking.ch/e/…

fewo.myswitzerland.com/search/default.aspx…

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
6. Re: where to stay in Lucerne region

www.weggis.ch

Antwerp
7. Re: where to stay in Lucerne region

Thanks. if i go to mt titlis, is it still reccommended to take jungfrau trip. How much do i save on jungfrau train trip if i have swiss saver pass? I plan to go in dec, so advise accordingly.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
8. Re: where to stay in Lucerne region

The discount with a Swiss Pass would be 50% and the 2 children would be free, but the journey from Luzern to Jungfrau is between 4.5 - 5 hours (ONE WAY!!). If you really want to see the Interlaken area and the Alpine mountain villages in the Lauterbrunnen Valley then I would suggest you spend a few night in that area. Daytrips of 9-10 hours just on the train are really no fun at all.

Antwerp
9. Re: where to stay in Lucerne region

In that case which village i should make my base. I have 7 nights in switzerland. i can split my base in two places. one to see around geneva and the other to see around lucerne.

10. Re: where to stay in Lucerne region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, September 09, 2009