We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to plan on day of arrival to Lucerne?

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newport Beach...
reviews: 4
What to plan on day of arrival to Lucerne?

Our flight from Orange Count to Zurich will arrive at 8:00 am and we'll take the train into Lucerne. We plan on catching up on jetlag., exploring main parts of town (Chapel Bridge) and taking a cruise on the lake. Which cruise would you recommend? I didn't plan a trip to Rigi or Pilatus since we'll be going to Zermatt & Bernese Oberland. Should I try to add this in?

Any recommendations for dinner, maybe cheese fondue?

Newport Beach...
reviews: 4
1. Re: What to plan on day of arrival to Lucerne?

I should have mentioned we are staying only one day and night in Lucerne.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 28
2. Re: What to plan on day of arrival to Lucerne?

Hi irridescent,

I would just take a short ride to one of the villages (Weggis or Vitznau), then stroll around the village, have lunch, then take the train back.

Have fun!

s

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
reviews: 2
3. Re: What to plan on day of arrival to Lucerne?

Swandav

No trains from Weggis or Vitznau! It is possible to get a bus to Küssnacht am Rigi and then the train to Lucerne.

Alternatively go as far as Brunnen or over the Rigi to Art Goldau and return by train.

However a stop off at either Weggis or Vitnau, with a picnic on the lakeside and catch a later boat back is recommended and is what we did on our last visit.

Keep up the good work.

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 21
4. Re: What to plan on day of arrival to Lucerne?

Here are two ideas for you -

From Zurich airport, take the slow route to Lucerne, train to Fluelen then boat (paddle steamer preferably) to Lucerne. This enables you to cruise the entire length of the lake without a return journey, the far side of the lake is very beautiful, and I think it is exciting to arrive by boat.

Alternatively, from Lucerne, take a boat to Weggis (40 minutes or so), have a look around Weggis, take the cable car up to the half-way Rigi station (Rigi Kaltbad), have a little wander and admire the view, maybe have lunch there, descend from there on a cogwheel train to Vitznau, and catch a boat back to Lucerne from Vitznau (about an hour, I think).

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 28
5. Re: What to plan on day of arrival to Lucerne?

For swissaholic --

I know that! I've spent a few days in Weggis and really do know that. The op asks for a cruise, and which cruise we recommend, so I responded that a "ride" to one of the towns would be great; assume "cruise -ride."

Geez, you're a tough crowd.

s

6. Re: What to plan on day of arrival to Lucerne?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, August 14, 2009