We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 week September itinerary help

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland
reviews: 2
4 week September itinerary help

Hi,

I was not sure which forum to post it to. I posted it in Geneva forum since this is the part of the plan that seems too iffy. My main concern is the weather in September.

This is for my parents who can walk ~2-3 miles without much elevation gain. They love photography and soaking in beautiful scenery, history and cityscapes. The current plan is as follows

The switzerland part of it is:

16-train to Geneva (from paris) and then to Montreux

17-Roam around Montreux/ Lake Geneva area Chillon castle/ Gruyeres

18-train to Zermatt/Chamonix

19-Matterhorn/ Anything else?

Not sure if a better idea would be to travel to Zurich/Luzern; see Mt Rigi/Pilatus and then take Bernina Express to Venice via Milan.

The whole plan is as follows:

Sep 5 Reach brussels

7 reach Amsterdam

8-10 -Amsterdam

11- reach Paris

12-15 Paris

16-train to Geneva and then to Montreux

17-Roam around Montreux/ Lake Geneva area Chillon castle/ Gruyeres

18-train to Zermatt (Glacier Express)/Chamonix

19-Matterhorn/ Anything else?

20-Zermatt-Venice

21-22 Venice

23-25- Florence

26-27 Cinque Terre/Siena

27-30-Rome

Oct 1: Depart Rome

Thanks a lot

3 replies to this topic
New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 102
1. Re: 4 week September itinerary help

From what i could gather, you are in Switzerland for just over three days. Too short a time but then you have to make the best use of it. If you are in Switzerland for seeing the Alps, then i suggest that you skip the Montreux part and proceed straight to Zermatt. Visit the zermatt.ch/en site for details of attractions and in case of specific queries, please put them on the forum. I am assuming that you haven't done any bookings in Montreux.

Portland
reviews: 2
2. Re: 4 week September itinerary help

The plan is to stay in Switzerland for ~4days. The attraction of Switzerland is the Alps, castles and beautiful Lake towns. Reading the forum posts, it seemed to me that Chillon Castle in Montreux fits the bill. Another concern I have with Zermatt is that the weather could be really bad in mid September.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 102
3. Re: 4 week September itinerary help

Zermatt weather is manageable till mid Sept. After that the cold starts setting in.

However, if you have set your sights on Chillon Castle, then do it. It's your call.

Reply to: 4 week September itinerary help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted