We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

place to stay at Geneva

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
place to stay at Geneva

In Geneva, which place that we support to stay in order to get easy transportation?

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 264
1. Re: place to stay at Geneva

I am sorry, but could you explain "we support to stay"

Haifa, Israel
2. Re: place to stay at Geneva

We (2 adults) plan to arrive to Geneva with car for 3 nights in August (at the time of Geneva festival). I'm considering some hotels in Geneva proximity (see below). Can you please advice which location is better for both convenient and cheap car parking and fast access to the Geneva centre.

1. Hotel with free parking on the French side beyond the Geneva airport (Prevessin / Ferney-Voltaire)

2. Ibis hotel with payed parking in Cointrin (near Balexert shopping centre)

3. Ibis hotel with payed parking in Petit-Lancy

Thanks.

Edited: 2:17 am, June 12, 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
3. Re: place to stay at Geneva

Yuri,

1/ I don't know them. In addition, the best way to come to the centre is to use public transports. From France it is more hectic.

2 and 3/ Both are well deserved by public transport and are more or less at the same distance from the centre (i.e. about 15 minutes). And hotels in Geneva give to all their guests free public transportation cards. Why don't you look at the reviews on TA?

Haifa, Israel
4. Re: place to stay at Geneva

Hi Swissdiver,

Thank you for you answer. I did looked through the reviews here for both hotels 2 and 3 (a lot of them), but did not get the clear opinion. One user writes that it took him 35 min to get to city center from Cointrin while other write about 10-15 min (while many write about 15 min from Petit-Lancy). And I did not find any reply about the parking possibilities and parking prices in those areas. Can you help me with this question?

Thank you again.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
5. Re: place to stay at Geneva

Hotels: being a local, I can't give a better feedback that the ones you'll find on TA since I do not stay at hotels here! That said, if you are into Ibis hotels, a third one has just opened in Geneva, by the United Nation buildings, that looks nice.

Timing: I indicated timing by public transport. By car, it is quite different. From the airport, 30-35 minutes is not unusual because of the traffic (the local authorities make their utmost to make drivers' life as miserably as possible). To this, the time to find a parking place should be added (as often all the underground parking lots are full). Parking cost per hour in the city centre: around CHF 3 (that is more or less USD 3). From Petit-Lancy, I would say it is a 20 minutes drive.

Parking near the hotels: the best is to contact the hotels directly.

Haifa, Israel
6. Re: place to stay at Geneva

Thank you again. I understood about arriving to the center by car.

Leaving hotels aside, I want to get the difference in the following options:

1. Times by public transport to the Geneva city center (and its relative frequency) from:

a) Cointrin / Balexert shopping centre

b) Petit-Lancy

c)French side beyond the Geneva airport (Prevessin / Ferney-Voltaire)

2. Car parking options, availability and prices:

b) Petit-Lancy

3. How useful and friendly is the area:

b) Petit-Lancy

Thanks a lot.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
7. Re: place to stay at Geneva

1 a and b: http://www.tpg.ch/ has it all. In short, about 15 minutes in either case, with several buses/trams per hour until about midnight.

1c: Much more complicated with one bus per hour. And more expensive since you'd need to buy bus tickets or passes.

2: Please ask the respective hotels. They probably have negotiated fares.

3a: Looks like an airport area!

3b: The Ibis is on a busy cross road. So not very appealing. Petit-Lancy village itself is nice though.

8. Re: place to stay at Geneva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 14, 2014